AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to layout my basement for finishing, and have some major issues. I got the finished basement plans from the developer for my house, which was built 7 years ago. the area i was to use as the media area is 18' X 12', with a low ceiling of 80" due to a sunken family room above. The problem is the ductwork and plumbing work on one of the long walls that hangs down 14" and out from the wall 36". My wife wants to have a width of 9', and build built in shelving under the ductwork. I wouldn't mind this, as I can build the equipment under it as well. I would build out the front wall, so I can place the speakers in it. Planning on a project with a realtively small screen size, maybe 84" diagonal.

So finishing up with a 16' x 9' room, with all speakers and equipment out of site. seating would have to be limited to a loveseat and maybe some smaller chairs due to the width.

Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like it should work to me. Bought a house 18 months ago and originally had the home theater (front projection) in a room that was only 10 x 10 including the speakers and equipment. Screen size was about 70 inches wide if I remember correct with the speakers either side of it. It was a tight squeeze but still worthwhile.

I'm now in the process of getting the basement finished and the HT room will be 11 x 17 approx. Your's may be narower but again you should be ok especially as you have a reasonable length to work with and no equipment in the room. Depending on how wide you want the screen to be, you may want to look at options that allow the speakers to be behind the screen.

Ed

·
Registered
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve James

So finishing up with a 16' x 9' room, with all speakers and equipment out of site. seating would have to be limited to a loveseat and maybe some smaller chairs due to the width.
I think you'd be happier with a wider room -- I certainly would. Consider building 'soffits' into the ceiilng to hide the duct work. Match both sides. No reason you can't give up some width to storage, but 9 feet is pretty narrow. (a couch is usually 7 feet wide, so you have a narrow 2 foot passage on one side.

Also consider stereo separation -- your dimensions are going to constrain speaker placement.

Roo

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I think you'd be happier with a wider room -- I certainly would. Consider building 'soffits' into the ceiilng to hide the duct work. Match both sides. No reason you can't give up some width to storage, but 9 feet is pretty narrow. (a couch is usually 7 feet wide, so you have a narrow 2 foot passage on one side.
The problem is, I don't think building code allows the height under soffits to be less that 6'6", and I'm 6'6" tall, and can barely stand under it now unfinished. Believe me, I'd like to use all 12' of widthe in the room...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.