AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,225 Posts
Where is the captains chair in this layout? You may be trying to do too much with a small room, if moving the back row off the rear wall and providing adequate reclining room for overflow seating results in the front row being too close and that is where you plan to sit, then maybe you need to assess your priorities.

I’m not sure about the layout of the ceiling Atmos speakers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your room is a wider than mine, but a little bit shorter. I'm about 19' long and 10" wide so I know some of the challenges of a small space. Couple of observations - front row is going to be close to the screen at 9'. I'm about 9' with a 115" diagonal screen. I'm more of the mindset of the bigger screen the better, so this might not be an issues, but something to think about. Looks like you plan to have the subs behind the screen. Not sure if things are drawn to scale, but those are going to be tiny subs. Are you leaving enough room back there for things? Most configurations I've seen need at least 1-2'. Atmos speaker placement - these look out of place. Also, the two rear speakers might not be ideal for those sitting in the rear seats.

Have you checked out the Dolby speaker placement guide to start?

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the captains chair in this layout? You may be trying to do too much with a small room, if moving the back row off the rear wall and providing adequate reclining room for overflow seating results in the front row being too close and that is where you plan to sit, then maybe you need to assess your priorities.

I’m not sure about the layout of the ceiling Atmos speakers.
Hi Jeff and Fazz,

I had looked at the Dolby Atmos speaker guide. This drawing is not to scale, but I'm not sure about what I should do to correct the ceiling placement for the speakers, if that is what you are referring to. Or do you mean the ones in the wall?

The subs are not shown to scale. They will have 18" to 24" of space behind the screen. There will also be 18" to 24" behind the rear wall for the equipment. The room is 20' overall.

The rear set of seats will be ahead of the rear wall by the space required for reclining by the mfg. (8")

The front row can slide back a bit, if need be.

Hoping you can advise on the Atmos issue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I love sitting towards the front at a movie theater and I love big screens but 9 feet seems awfully close for that big of a screen. I would check it to make sure you're not moving your neck to catch all the action. Also, more importantly if I am looking at your diagram correctly, your room looks to be a hundred inchs wide. I don't know if you're going to be able to get a row of four seats in there. Even the seats that I am looking at that are 3 wide are 90 some inches which doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to work with.

Edit: I think I was looking at the 109 in and it looks like 100 in but then you have 13 feet near the screen. Even at 13 feet that only gives you about a foot-and-a-half from the side walls if you do four seats. Also, as others had mentioned I would move the rear seats away from that back wall. I don't think you want your Atmos speakers directly above you like that if you are doing .4. I know their site has the preferred angles of where they should be. I didn't see your height listed anywhere but with that small of a room if you have a standard 8-foot ceiling you need to be careful with your Atmos placement.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love sitting towards the front at a movie theater and I love big screens but 9 feet seems awfully close for that big of a screen. I would check it to make sure you're not moving your neck to catch all the action. Also, more importantly if I am looking at your diagram correctly, your room looks to be a hundred inchs wide. I don't know if you're going to be able to get a row of four seats in there. Even the seats that I am looking at that are 3 wide are 90 some inches which doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to work with.

Edit: I think I was looking at the 109 in and it looks like 100 in but then you have 13 feet near the screen. Even at 13 feet that only gives you about a foot-and-a-half from the side walls if you do four seats. Also, as others had mentioned I would move the rear seats away from that back wall. I don't think you want your Atmos speakers directly above you like that if you are doing .4. I know their site has the preferred angles of where they should be. I didn't see your height listed anywhere but with that small of a room if you have a standard 8-foot ceiling you need to be careful with your Atmos placement.
The ceiling is 9'. The width is the room is 13', or 156". That leaves 2' of space on either side of the seats to the side walls.

I had looked at the ATMOS site and thought I had the ceiling speakers more, or less, where they were supposed to be, but two others mentioned that they were not correct, so I am wondering what the placement should be to make them correct?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Move the first row backwards. Never sit in the absolute middle, base will be destroyed.
First row towards the screen should be placed 1/3 out from the BACK wall.
Atmos: imagine an angled cross, 45 degree out in all 4 directions from your MLP moneyseat. Same distance from your head as the distance from your ear to your ceiling.

X

And please make the front row have an odd number of seats so you in the center seat will have optimal playback when you are alone in there, and you will be most of the time, whatever she says beforehand ^^ ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts