AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room that is about 17'x19' with a concrete floor, with carpet and padding..

The ceiling is about 11' high. Its just a square type room. I have about a 4' opening going up to my main living room.

Im using 12" subs. I have lots of dead spots in my room. Do I have to go larger 15",18" subs to fill this room? OR could I get another sub like I have and place it in a different area to make the changes?

I know there is a lot left out, but im just trying to get an idea....tks.

OH I do need more power to my sub. right now I only have 150wt plate amp and the sub can handle like 500wts or so...

The sound is awesome by my desk where the sub is...but it falls off about 5ft from the source...

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Do you have any bass traps in the room? Or acoustic panels? Those seem to help a lot if you just have some small dead areas.

have you moved the sub around the room to check for the best placement?

How square is the room? From what I have read, the closer to square it is, the harder it is to fill with bass.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Larger subs will only attempt to put out more bass but when the nodes are canceling it out, no matter how much you produce, it will not be enough.

Simply put, more subs will work better. There was a harmon white paper that stated four subs placed at the midpoints of each wall works the best for overall coverage in the listening area.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5112 /forum/post/15576271

Larger subs will only attempt to put out more bass but when the nodes are canceling it out, no matter how much you produce, it will not be enough.

Simply put, more subs will work better. There was a harmon white paper that stated four subs placed at the midpoints of each wall works the best for overall coverage in the listening area.

e

When you say..." four subs placed at midpoints of each wall"...Are you saying I have to actually have 4 subs on each of my 4 walls? I hope not...Wholly cow that would be a lot of money and subs. lol...

Im going to get the other sub going soon...That should help a little. Just wish I had the money to get more powerfull plate amps to replace what I have..dang money!!..

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
No, the harmon paper found that a single floor-mounted sub in the middle of each wall (4 total) was an optimum combination over a fairly large listening area, but that two subs, one in the middle of each side wall, was nearly as good. Get that other sub going!

Have fun,

Frank

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL....Great...I can get it going very soon..Cant wait. I was hoping I could use these old DCM sub boxes instead of making new ones and my bet payed off..They sound really great. Easy fix too..Took no time at all. Now to get my wife to "let" me get some new more powerfull plate amps..hhhehehe...

A few good compliments and im GOLD!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have read a few articles stating 4 subs, one in each corner or one at each wall midpoint.

Here's a Harman paper that I found. Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations

If you just want the conclusion, scroll down to page 28. In the body of the paper, they do a simulation with with different number of subs. They said that 5000 subs gets nearly perfect room response at all 16 seating positions. So, maybe you should get 5000 subs!!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov /forum/post/15577592

No, the harmon paper found that a single floor-mounted sub in the middle of each wall (4 total) was an optimum combination over a fairly large listening area, but that two subs, one in the middle of each side wall, was nearly as good. Get that other sub going!

Have fun,

Frank

Thats in essence what I said.

To the OP, thats actually what I'm suggesting. As someone else posted, two subs works much better than one so I suggest you start there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5112 /forum/post/15580072

Thats in essence what I said.

To the OP, thats actually what I'm suggesting. As someone else posted, two subs works much better than one so I suggest you start there.

I think he was responding to the op.... clarifying what you said.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/15576118

Do you have any bass traps in the room? Or acoustic panels? Those seem to help a lot if you just have some small dead areas.

have you moved the sub around the room to check for the best placement?

How square is the room? From what I have read, the closer to square it is, the harder it is to fill with bass.

+1 ^

Try this first ... a cheap and dirty way to prove it is to go to HD or Lowes and buy 4 bales of insulation and place them in the four corners of the room and then test the room response ... if you dont think it worked then return the unopened insulation for a full refund

However ... you will likely hear a significant improvement
... so then build corner bass traps out of OC 703/705 ... do a search for super chunk bass traps and you will get lots of ideas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts