AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My desktop PC is an antique and cant process anything. Im using my state-of-the-art laptop from work for the EQ Wiz. Its not equipped with a soundcard so I plan to buy an external soundcard for two reasons. One being the EQ Wizard, Two is that I would like to hook-up my PC to my HT to play MP3's and such.

My question is: which soundcard should I buy?

I know very little about computer products and which brands are better than others. I'd like it to be compatable with the Room EQ Wizard(and an analog RS SPL Meter)and later to hook up my PC to HT.

My laptop has only a mic input and headphones output(also USB). I can get the EQ Wiz to play fine through my HT using the headphone jack but using the mic input for my analog RS SPL meter gives me wacky readings.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I find it hard to believe a "state-of-the-art laptop" doesn't have sound capability built-in. What is the make & model of your laptop? It should say the model somewhere on the top or bottom of the laptop. If you have a mic input & headset output, you HAVE a sound card in the laptop - that's what a soundcard does! Alot of times the mic level is disabled by default, so you may need to go into your audio setup and change the mic settings. If you google for how to configure a microphone in Windows, you should turn-up some general instructions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laptop is a SONY. I think the problem is my lack of inputs. The EQ Wizard's "Help" section says that a mic input is inadequate. I had it plugged into the mic input and was getting fluxuating readings of 65db-90db, and that was in dead silence!

·
Registered
30,632 Posts
I use an M-audio MobilePre USB with RoomEQWizard and other programs. Also supplies phantom power, if needed.

Kal

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
I use a Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster MP3+ with my Dell Inspiron 8600. It even works without installing any of the bloated CL software that's on the disc. Windows XP recognizes it as a USB audio device installs it's own drivers, and away you go.

I'm using a Behringer ECM8000 Microphone, and a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer. I haven't tried Room EQ Wizard though. Most of my playing has been with the ETF Demo and TrueTRA.

$36 shipped free from Buy.com

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stereodude: You should try Room EQ Wizard, it's pretty good and you can't beat the price. :) I have a full version of ETF as well and I think if all you want is to EQ subs, Room EQ Wizard is all you need. Too bad you couldn't make it to CO this year, you could have seen a lot of measurement work in action. I certainly learned a lot.

Like Kal, I use the M-Audio Mobile Pre with ECM8000 mic with Room EQ Wizard and ETF. Recently, I have had the chance to work with an Echo Indigo PCMCIA soundcard and ART MicroMix pre-amp - a good, but not cheap ($180 + $50) combo.

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJudy
Stereodude: You should try Room EQ Wizard, it's pretty good and you can't beat the price. :) I have a full version of ETF as well and I think if all you want is to EQ subs, Room EQ Wizard is all you need. Too bad you couldn't make it to CO this year, you could have seen a lot of measurement work in action. I certainly learned a lot.

Like Kal, I use the M-Audio Mobile Pre with ECM8000 mic with Room EQ Wizard and ETF. Recently, I have had the chance to work with an Echo Indigo PCMCIA soundcard and ART MicroMix pre-amp - a good, but not cheap ($180 + $50) combo.
I just got keys to unlock WinMLS 2000 and 2004 for 30 days to demo today, but they seem hard to work with compared with ETF. I'll have to read up on them more.

I'll have to try Room EQ Wizard. First I need to go buy a stack of cheater plugs. RDES, my BFD, or my Behringer DCX2496 put a hum in my system and a worse hum in sub. It's kinda wierd too because the RS1k's powered amps have 3 prong outlets and I don't get a hum from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.