AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of working on the plans for my new house. Of course, I'm planning on putting in another theater. This time, I have the opportunity to do everything right from the start.

1. In order to isolate the sound within the theater, would my best bet be to build a room in a room? I will have 10ft ceilings in the theater so, I should still be able to get about 9ft in the theater.

2. I'm also thinking of doing a rear projection, so that I can isolate the heat and noise from the projector to another room. I have no experience with rear-projection. Are there quality or construction concersn that I should be concerned with?

Thanks!

adam

·
Registered
105 Posts
Adam

1. Yes, room within a room (floating floor and ceiling along with decoupled walls) with double drywall and Green glue should net you an STC in the 60s. Also, you should get closer to 9.5 feet, even witht he floating floor and ceiling.

2. Do you mean a projector shooting from behind flipping the image onto a transperant screen or a RP box TV?

Skipp

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick answer.

Regarding the projection, I was asking about projecting from behind, not a RPTV.

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Depending on your desires, space etc you will obviously need a RP room and probably mirrors. The best RP screens are probably the DNP designs which provide gain but are expensive. Stewart makes a model calledeAreoview used by WSR in their reference theater.Here is an older link to an RP theater. A concept I briefly considered for my theater last year.

http://www.filmsondisc.com/Features/...review_sys.htm

Sounds great to have a blank slate and I wish you well in this journey.

Art

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
if you have the option of from-ground-zero building a room within a room, this is a great idea

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
The room within a room is a great idea. The rear projection, on the other hand is not one I can support. Good rear projection is a very expensive process (mirrors, floor space, screen). On the other hand, a long throw projector, placed in the rear of the room in either a projector cabinet or projection room will accomplish your sound/heat issues for considerably less expense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.