Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cunning plan...

We've backed off of our garage conversion plan due to the expense, loss of utility/parking space, and laziness. I started thinking of alteratives that could be easily backed out of should we either not like the new setup or decide to move. After some discussion, I got this out of my wife, Laurel, "what do we really use the master bedroom for, anyway?"

So, we started our experiment by moving into one of our guest bedrooms to see if that would bother us. About a day later I got another quote from Laurel, "You might as well order the projector now. Even if it doesn't work out, it will take up less room than the RPTV" It's been several weeks, and the smaller bedroom hasn't been an issue. The HS10 is still on order...

Here's where you all come in. Here's the room layout, what are your suggestions?

http://www.llamalust.com/Basic%20Room.jpg

The room is 14x16. The doors on the right side go to a bathroom (top) and walk in closet (bottom). There is a can light in the triangular space between those doors.

Option 1, Wide: Screen on long wall with door to hall.

pros:
  • Widest seating area (two recliners + four Ikea Poang chairs)

cons:
  • Longer cable runs to PJ from closet
  • Shorter PJ throw
  • Limited to 5.1 speaker setup (which is all I have now, anyway)

Option 2, Long: Screen on wall with large window.

pros:
  • Longer throw for PJ
  • Shorter cable runs
  • Possible 7.1 speaker configuration

cons:
  • Narrower seating area (two recliners + two Ikea Poang chairs)
  • Would have to hang screen partially over a window

Thoughts?

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mike,

I think it depends on whether or not you are using a retractable screen or a fixed screen. If it is retractable, definetly go for option 2. I am not a fan of having wide home theatre, long and skinny I say. You then will need some heavy-set curtain material to put across the window & block out light.

Have you thought of tiered seating? Given your wifes willingness to part with the master bedroom, and also telling you to order the projector, might as well go the whole hog and really make a theatre like atmosphere.

Looking at your room,with the window at the bottom being off centre, it really depends on whether or not you can live with having the window at the edge of the screen still visible.

My 2c worth (less tax)

Senator

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had written of a tier due to the requirement for passage from the entrance to the bathroom and closet doors, but... I could make a rectangular tier that "covers" the trianglar space, leaving a step, and stops short of blocking the entrance door (which opens in). Hmm...

My other option is bean bag chair for a "lowered" front row.

Our current room (before the speaker and component upgrade) is limited to four seats (if we push to the corners). My wife feels limited by the two guest limit. With more floor space between the screen and the seats, bean bag (or similar) chairs are doable. The wide configuration would add a few more over the long one...decisions...

Thanks for your suggestions!

--Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mike,

Just had a quick play with your room, my scalings might be out, but it looks viable to me.

Seating is about 6 1/2 feet back from the wall, which means that in theory, your screen is limited to about 3 - 4 feet wide. You can possibly bring back the seating a bit to give you some more space between you and the screen (although gap is only about 2 feet now).

There is an allowance of about 7 feet for the seating, this may or may not be too much.

Please dont laugh at the drawings, I am but an amatuer.

Senator

PS

The scalings were 1cm = 1 foot, but I had to reduce the size by about 50% to attach the file.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem I have with that layout is the screen width. Separate from the simple function of viewing angle, a wider screen would also allow more people to be seated in front, or closer to the center, of the screen.

One problem with the long vs. wide comparison is that long axis is only 2' longer than the wide axis. Since I have to shift the seating forward by 3' to provide clear access to the bathroom and closet, I have an effective screen-wall to back of seats measurement of 13' (versus 14' in the wide configuration).

Granted, I can get a longer throw, shorter cable runs, and 7.1 in this configuration, but less seating width and, ironically, less seating depth.

Urg...my gut wants long, but many things point to wide.

Of course the good news about this minimalist approach is that I can try things out before running wire and mounting anything. I'm going to look for some bean bag chairs to test out front tier options. Four bean bag chairs would make for 10 person capacity on the wide axis, or 8 on the long. If the combined loss of a foot of screen distance and larger screen (longer throw) doesn't ruin the front row, 8 may well be enough.

Thanks again,

--Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
It depends on whether you are video oriented or audio oriented.

If audio oriented, you can certainly sacrifice some space between yourself and the screen (and sit closer than the recommended 1.5 - 2.0 times the screen width), then you will get your 7.1 sound.

If video oriented, then obviously the wide layout may suit (as you say, it is only 2ft shorter, not a huge sacrifice).

Have you already got the equipment for 7.1? (amp & speakers)

If you are yet to buy the speakers, you could get some that would be able to be attached to the cieling (dont know what this would sound like, never heard it b4) and you may not sacrifice 7.1.

Sen

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am more video than audio oriented. I currently sit 7.5' from a 56" 16:9 screen, which puts me at about the SMPTE 30 degree spot. I could stand to move closer, to the THX 36 degree point, but I don't want to get close enough to notice screen door or to have to move my head too much to track the movie. I think in both setups there would be seats that met my requirements. However, I also want to make sure that as many guest seats as possible remain inside "normal" viewing parameters.

I've got a 5.1 speaker setup (Diva 4.1/C3/2.1 + SVS PCi 16-46) to which I could add two side surrounds. I have a receiver that supports 7.1 and a 5 channel amp; I could drive the rears from the receiver's amp section. So, capabilities are there, but I'm not sure I have the clearance from the back wall for rear speakers to be effective (in the wide configuration).

I think I may just need to throw down a beanbag chair a few feet in front of the main seating and see what the picture looks like from there. On the seating side of things, I may have hit the wall on the advanced planning side. Time to move on to the experimental stage.

Next I need to consider painting and camoflauged sound treatments. I've already got grey carpet, so perhaps a neutral grey paint. On the sound side, perhaps some bookshelves at the first points of reflection. Time to fire up the search function on these two issues.

--Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.