AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, after lurking here for quite some time I am in need of some advice. I've attached a diagram of my living room, and need some recomendations for furniture and equipment placement. I currently have an RCA truflat 27" tv, RCA rt2600 HTIB, dvd player, vcr, and a gamecube. Furniture is as follows, leather sofa (@ 86" long), and two recliners. The floor is all white oak hardwood, we are going to place an area rug to cover the majority of it due to our 15 month old twins. We are shopping for a tv cabinet at the moment. I would like to lay this room out in such a way that when/if I get a 50" plasma, I could just get rid of the tv cabinet and mount the plasma in its place (on the wall). Take a look, and tell me what you guys would do if it were yours.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Out of the 118 people that looked at this someone has bound to have an opinion.

Come on folks, i'm just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I suspect people are having issues because the room is going to be a problem.

You really only have 1 decent place to put things - along the wall opposite the windows. Unfortunately, that means that you can't pull anything out as it would be in the way of the walkway from the kitchen. Also, the room is so narrow compared to length that you'll have a hard time arranging seating for decent viewing and decent 'living room' organization.

Yours might be the one in one thousand exception where turning the room sideways might work best. Put the TV/cabinet on the top wall of the drawing. This leaves you decent places for the couch as viewing and maybe the chairs flanking it but turned in. This also leaves you a decent amount behind your head from a sound perspective. Put the couch about 40% from the bottom wall so the walkway is behind it and you're in a proper place to view a 50" picture.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
for a plasma or smaller I agree with bpape, that the best bet is side walls, on the other hand I would most likely put the screen on the bottom wall. I am also assuming there is a different way to get back and forth from the Kitchen to the entry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I currently have the tv against the top wall, and the couch against the bottom wall. Both are centered in the room. Would the space between the windows be a mistake? How far away from the wall would you put the couch if I go with bpapes idea, it is currently against the bottom wall. The speakers are currently on stands at head level when seated. The rear speakers are on either side of the couch facing the side of your head. I want to get rid of the stands and mount the speakers on the wall, running the cables inside the walls is not a problem for me. This is why I want a plan on permanent room layout, so I can get the speakers done first. Again thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
That's exactly one of the reasons you move it out into the room. There are others. The couch against the wall has the following issues:

1. You're too far away for optimal viewing angles for the Plasma

2. You're in a horrible place acoustically

3. You can't get ANY type of rear surround experience

Pull the couch out as I said, about 40% into the room. Leave the left to right walkway BEHIND the couch and potentially mount the surrounds up high on the wall. This puts you in a better listening position with better viewing angles and better surround experience.

I wouldn't do the between the windows thing. That's probably the last place I'd put it. I don't want the windows by my speakers unless you have some nice heavy curtains on them - not to mention that it makes your room acoustically non-symmetric with the hole on one side.

You could absolutely reverse it as Anthony suggested. That would allow the surrounds to stay on stands if you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the advice. I was just concerned that with the couch moved out that it would be to close to the tv. I just took some measurments and if I move it out 40% that will put the "nose" 5.5 feet from the tv, is this too close? Thanks again, your suggestions are really helping me in the decision making process.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Proper viewing angle is 38 degrees included. If my trig is right, 38 degrees would put you just about 6' from the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.