AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·



Hi all,


This is the room where I want to set up my 5.1. In the image I have put t down the potential location of the speakers. Are the placements that I have shown all right? I can only move the speakers as the pre-wiring for 5.1 is still to be done. This is a new construction house.


I definitely will have to replace my 55" tv for that 15feet plus viewing distance. Would a 70" be fine for this kind of distance.


As far as speakers, wife does not want big speakers. I can get away with Floor standing in the front but they can't be too large or wide.



I have been looking at the KEF Q300 bookshelves, if I get it with stands will the sound be good enough for the room. I will add surrounds later or I can add the Q500 or Q700 as the front L/R and move he Q300 to the back.


The other option is Polk RTIA5 or RTIA7 for the front L/R and polk surround or can I use KEF surround with polk fronts.


Mostly for movies 70% and 30% music.


Is there anyway I can place the equipment in the study and control everything from the family room? How?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to move them away from the corner a little but I don't think I can move them by a lot.


Do you think I can get by with bookshelf speakers? I don't need to blast them, just decent enough sound for movie?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369  /t/1469429/room-layout-help-for-5-1#post_23232345


I will try to move them away from the corner a little but I don't think I can move them by a lot.


Do you think I can get by with bookshelf speakers? I don't need to blast them, just decent enough sound for movie?
Only you know your listening preferences -- in that size room, with that large an opening into adjacent spaces, it's going to be really hard to find bookshelves that will fill it all with reference level sound. However, some of the higher efficiency designs (horn loaded) may get closer. Of course, if you're not looking for reference level (and most people aren't) then you may be just fine with a good set of bookshelves.


I think all we can do is give you general guidance here. For me, I'd never get away with bookshelves in a room that big -- nothing small enough to be called a bookshelf speaker would have adequate cone area to appease my listening levels. But, most people probably think my listening levels are crazy, lol.


Also, a budget would really help....


As for moving the equipment to the study -- I suppose that'd depend how they pre-wired the house for 5.1. My guess is, they probably put speaker plates in all the corners and the middle of the room for the center and then popped a 5.1 speaker wiring plate where they think you'll put the receiver. If this is the case, then you'd have to re-wire to pull all those speaker wires into the study. Then you'll need to investigate several of the home theater remotes (find ones that are RF or IP) to see which will do what you want. Alternatively, you could leave the receiver in the family room, but you'd need to run some long HDMI runs between the study and family room (at which point, I'm not sure what you're gaining by moving equipment into the study anyway....).


I guess to better answer that question, you should qualify exactly which equipment you want to move to the study -- everything (the receiver, blu-ray player, gaming systems, etc) or just some of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior  /t/1469429/room-layout-help-for-5-1#post_23232680


Only you know your listening preferences -- in that size room, with that large an opening into adjacent spaces, it's going to be really hard to find bookshelves that will fill it all with reference level sound. However, some of the higher efficiency designs (horn loaded) may get closer. Of course, if you're not looking for reference level (and most people aren't) then you may be just fine with a good set of bookshelves.


I think all we can do is give you general guidance here. For me, I'd never get away with bookshelves in a room that big -- nothing small enough to be called a bookshelf speaker would have adequate cone area to appease my listening levels. But, most people probably think my listening levels are crazy, lol.


Also, a budget would really help....


As for moving the equipment to the study -- I suppose that'd depend how they pre-wired the house for 5.1. My guess is, they probably put speaker plates in all the corners and the middle of the room for the center and then popped a 5.1 speaker wiring plate where they think you'll put the receiver. If this is the case, then you'd have to re-wire to pull all those speaker wires into the study. Then you'll need to investigate several of the home theater remotes (find ones that are RF or IP) to see which will do what you want. Alternatively, you could leave the receiver in the family room, but you'd need to run some long HDMI runs between the study and family room (at which point, I'm not sure what you're gaining by moving equipment into the study anyway....).


I guess to better answer that question, you should qualify exactly which equipment you want to move to the study -- everything (the receiver, blu-ray player, gaming systems, etc) or just some of it.


I think you answered my question in regards to moving the equipment to the study. I don't think that possible so it will stay in the family room.


The few speakers that I am researching are

KEF - Q300

Q500


Polk RTIA3

Pok RTIA5 or A7


Klipsch rw-12d sub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369  /t/1469429/room-layout-help-for-5-1#post_23233615


Can anyone suggest anything else and reassure if I am getting the right speakers and subs.
We certainly can recommend other speakers, but it'd help us to know what your budget is. More importantly, though, all we can do is recommend a bunch of other brands that you should really listen to...and tons of people will come and and name their favorites if they can be had within your budget. At the end of the day, though, if you're serious about it, then you'll have to listen. If you're just looking for something that'll put sound into the room, then buy whatever you can hear and think you like. Of course, if you start listening to a bunch of stuff, you may become an addict, lol -- then it's on to upgraditis and all the other side effects,
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369  /t/1469429/room-layout-help-for-5-1#post_23233615


Can anyone suggest anything else and reassure if I am getting the right speakers and subs.

If you enjoy multichannel music, then all of your speakers should match in timbre.


I'd suggest moving the sub out of the rear corner to the front of the room. You might want to add an additional sub to balance out the room.


If you can swing a 90 inch, that would fill the front space perfectly at a 15 foot viewing distance. 80 inch panels are more affordable at this time. I'm 11 feet away from my 70, and it's comfortable. At 15 feet away, it's not that immersive of a hi-def experience. Especially if you are interested in 3D content.


Go with the RTiA5 floor standers for the front and surround channels - that is a big room - or bookshelf RTi series on stands for the surrounds if you don't have little ones running about.


You'll need a center channel speaker.


CSIA6 in cherry - looks more like furniture, and more likely to have a high wife acceptance factor.



What are you planning on using to power your system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be using Pioneer SC 1522k receiver, which I got from Costco because it was a good deal, now I am trying to build my HT for the new house.


I am quiet happy with my HTIB in my apartment right now, which is only for movies and TV.


But with the new HT system I plan on using it for some music as well, maybe about 20%.


I don't want to buy something expensive just because its been recommended and expensive does not always equal to good. I was recommended the pioneer FS52 but when I listened to them I did not like them, next to it were the Polk and Klipsch and they sounded good to me as they were more clear and crisp.


Now I am looking at all sorts of speakers -


Wharfedale diamond 10.1

KefQ300

Polk RTIA5 or A7



I would like to spend no more than $500 for a pair for L/R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you guys think about the infinity primus P363? the one think that concerns me is that they are actually 4ohms speakers rather than 8ohms.


Can I use these speakers with my receiver pioneer sc 1522? also which center channel will match these speakers?


Will this be a good set up for the room


Fry's has them for $117 each and I want to take advantage of the price.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top