AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I need everyone's opinion on my HT/media room layout. I say HT/Media room because the room will also serve as an entertainment room, for parties, sporting events, kids sleepovers etc. Right now I'm stuck between maximizing seating for HT use, or trying to fit as many activities in the room as possible. Currently I have bar that can seat 3-4, a poker table that seats 4, a sofa, love seat and 2 chairs. Additionally with remaining open flr space I can seat another 4 people. Although I'm not a huge pool player, i am considering squeezing in a pool table or air hockey table, with the emphasis on the word "squeezing". I'm afraid that this arrangement would cramp the room to much though. On the flip side, in terms of seating for HT 90% of the time the only people that will be watching movies range between only me, to me and my wife, to the whole family (4 total), so as long as I have 4 permanent, comfortable seats, I'm happy. In either case I'm torn so I have attached a link to 4 different layouts that I've done in Visio. The overall room size is 27' Long X 14 Wide at the bar end, and 12' Wide at the opposite end and the drawings are to scale. Although I have space from adjacent rooms that I could steal space from, I am not looking to do that, at least not any time soon. Please click in the link below to see the 4 images and tell me which one you would choose and why.

P.S in case it helps,I am currently using the following equipment:

2 old Infocus 580 LCD projectors that I got for free from work

84" diagonal DIY 4:3 screen. (30% of viewing content is 4:3)

Phillips 36" Direct View TV

Denon 1800 DD 5.1 receiver

HTPC for DVD, Mp3, DIVX, Etc.

Eventually will be changing to a projector that can accommodate HDTV, adding a 16:9 screen and probably a 7.1 DD audio setup

Dishnetwork DD satellite Receiver.

Thanks in advance

I've added another layout where I mount the projector to the ceiling, remove the main table and replace it with smaller tables in between the 3 chairs so sit drinks, snacks, etc.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bda...Layout&.view=t

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Okay, I looked them over, and I've decided:

I like the ceiling-mounted PJ, and get the TV out of the area; maybe place it on the fridge for bar-sitting guests. The three-seats-with-ottomans layout looks pretty good, and you could always place two more behind them, in a sort of W pattern.

The reverse layout sucks because, to me, front symmetry is more important, and the reverse layout places the right speaker against a side wall, and the left away from one. Besides, the closed-end of the room will afford better light control.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the first layout, but replace the table with a third chair and mount the projector on the ceiling. The ottoman's make the space look too crowded, in my opinion. I agree with Larry - move the TV somewhere else. Your option with the pook table won't work...at least not well. Even with a 7 foot table, you only have 2.5 feet of cue room on either end of the table. A standard cue is 57". Playing with "shortie" cues is not quite the same. An air hockey table might work, but I'm not familiar with the standard dimensions for those. Are recliners with footrests a possibility as an alternative to the ottomans?

James

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm with Larry. Definately the ceiling mount, move the TV to the bar.

You might want to consider a different seating layout as well, but that may mean a platform. And insteat of pool or airhockey, how about arcade style games along the wall. Better yet, more lounge area and table seating for games (cards, board, etc.)

Have fun!

Randy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well first off thanks for your opinions. Pretty much I agree with everything that all of you said, but here are some of the reasons/concerns that influencing my decisions. In terms of the seating, I currently have 3 chairs, that are not recliners. I just moved into this new house 6 months ago, and I will have to work on furnishing and redecorating other rooms in the house before I can really spend any significant money on decorating my HT. So this means it will about 2 years time or so before I can revamp my HT. So instead , I am going to slip cover the existing 3 chairs, and I figured the ottoman's would make the seating more comfortable, and also provide extra ,on the fly seating for when I have large crowds. I've laid out the chairs with some "simulated" ottoman's(boxes) and it's really not crowded at all. In regards to the pool and air hockey table, I can definitely do without those as I'm not a good player anyway. I just figured if I could accommodate one, that it would be cool to have. In regards to the TV, I would love to relocate it, but because it's 36" it really can't go on the bar and definitely not on the fridge, as it is on 3ft high. Also, me and my 2 daughters spend a lot of time in the basement watching regular TV down there, so I really would like to keep it in the area of the seating for casual TV viewing. One thought in regards to the TV is relocating it to the center the wall, and switching my screen to a motorized , retractable one. Another issue I ran into last night was mounting the projector. I was able to mount it relatively easy, but for some reason this projector doesn't have any keystone adjustments (it makes automatic adjustments), so the image is completely warped. So now I'm left with a decision. Eventually I was planning on buying a used CRT from Curt Palme to replace the 2 LCD units that I have. However I will have a hard time justifying it to my wife. Also I have a combined bulb life of about 800 hours on the two LCD projectors that I have. While I know that they can't hold a candle to the quality from a CRT, they still give a good quality picture and once again they were completely free! The second alternative is that, I have already constructed one of the ottoman's. It's basically a 2'X2' table has a lower shelf. I placed the projector on that shelf, added foam batting, upholstered the whole thing, leaving a hole for the projectors lens. The only thing left to do is to create a way to effectively cool the projector. There are no wires anywhere, and the pj is completely out of sight. What your opinions on this setup?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Well, with two seats straddling the PJ/ottoman, you can place an additional pair of seats directly behind it, so the farther-back seating is more centered. For cooling, one or more fans in the bottom blowing down should suck enough air in the lens port, plus any other holes, to keep it cool.

I definitely second the CRT-from-Curt idea. You should be able to sell the two LCD units for enough to make a good dent in the cost of a new PJ. Tell your wife that bulbs run between $250 and $450 each, life tends to be in the hundreds, and CRT life tends to run in the tens of thousands.

Edit: I meant *hours* in my above lifespan statements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.