AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm almost done planning out my room...

What I need help from you guys with is any suggestions for the layout and the lighting i'm planning on putting in...

I already have the speakers (unmounted rears) and audio equipment..and i'll be getting the rest over the next few months...

Here's the layout & lighting:

Room Layout

Proposed Lighting

The words at the bottom are blocked in the image - Room is 21x16 and 1 Block in the image = 1 sq. ft.

Any tweaks or suggestions, especially when it comes to the rear placement, seating, and Lighting layout that I will be deciding? I have yet to get the actual chairs and screen, but i'm pretty sure the layout is how i'm planning on going....

Thanks guys!

G

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm interesting...

I always heard the seating should be 2/3rds of the way back from the front...

maybe I am misinformed...

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
21 foot long room with only FOUR seats?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
it's a very nice layout & setup but from a casual observer would benefit from more seating :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well...if it'll make you happy- funds will be just enough to cover this...

I'll go two rows in a few years or so ;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
two lights across the room is probably insufficient, especially if you want the room uniformly dim. I'd go four across, three lights minimum (depending on what the grey area ceiling looks like).

the front row (screen lights) should be on it's own dimmer, as they'll be unusable w/ the projector, wheras you might want the second row lights on and possibly the rear lights for casual viewing, reading, etc.

i'd go with 3 dimmers (split the red into two)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem is the sloped ceiling on the sides...

I do think i'd get the coverage I want if I put them in the middle...

aren't cans supposed to light a diameter equal to the ceiling height?

Does this vary for size?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
for $10-ish a can, i would definately add more recessed lights (and more dimmers like i posted) to make light more controllable. you'll have better lighting with more lights than with less (and in more zones that you can turn on/off/dim) :) especially if you recess the bulb to not protrude from the can which would effect the screen image.

i would not worry about evenly spaced them front to back and think more about intended use... Task lighting. For example the screen front lights might be better served another foot or two away from the screen? likewise the rear might need more lights than the front (4 vs 3 across). it's tough to say really from the diagram.

i say this from experience as my room dimensions are just a bit smaller than yours and as i'm renovating it this winter i'm adding lights (basement w/ two small windows on the side wall). it's livable now, but for a few bucks the lighting can be more even and "better". live & learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.