AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Room Questions!!

1135 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Down
Hello Friends,

I have attached my room layout and had a few questions. I have a DescentI Sub and a 12 year old Sunfire Signature Sub,placed at X1(Descenti) and X2(Sunfire) respectively. Firstly considering my room size is it even possible to get that deep punchy bass that HT owners with smaller compact rooms usually get? As I have heard great chest thumping bass from a cheap 100$ Sub in a 10'x10' room compared to my Descenti
The Descent I is just not giving me that bass I need from the front...

Secondly I am planning to get Polk Lsi15s are they sufficient to fill the room or should I look for bigger speakers?

Will I gain more bass if I went for like a front firing Sub on X1 area closer towards the centre channel and DescentI on X2 area?

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
That's a lot of space to fill. Driver configuration won't matter much, but you need subs capable of a LOT of output. From what I've read the Polk Lsi's are somewhat power hungry and present a 4 ohm load to an amp, so you'll want something pretty robust to drive them in that large of a room. An external amp for those Polks is probably called for in your situation.
And what about woofers? What kinda subwoofer can pressurize the X1 area?
How much $ ya got? That will be the determining factor. I'd say you'll need at least 1k or so to get a sub powerful enough to get that room shakin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobieedoo /forum/post/14119778

is it even possible to get that deep punchy bass that HT owners with smaller compact rooms usually get?

You already got the right answer - a large room requires a sub that can play loudly to fill all the space. I'll just add that other than needing more power, large rooms have much less problem generally with bass than small rooms. So it's not like you want a smaller room!

--Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer /forum/post/14124714

You already got the right answer - a large room requires a sub that can play loudly to fill all the space. I'll just add that other than needing more power, large rooms have much less problem generally with bass than small rooms. So it's not like you want a smaller room!

--Ethan

Absolutely. I just moved from a very open, larged room to a room with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down /forum/post/14125468

Absolutely. I just moved from a very open, larged room to a room with

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/14129099

You're not sitting in the middle of the room are you? That's where a huge null usually lurks.

Side to side I'm in the middle, but longways I'm about 2/3rds back. I still have alot if fiddling around to do, haven't even level matched the speaks yet, only used the MCACC on my receiver (which can be less than accurate).
Smaller Compact room=less space to pressurize,hence more pressure=more bass
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobieedoo /forum/post/14134223

Smaller Compact room=less space to pressurize,hence more pressure=more bass

Ah, that was my initial thinking, however, I forgot the last part of the equation

(Smaller Compact room=less space to pressurize,hence more pressure=more bass) + (smaller compact room=more challenging acoustically, hence more cancellations=less bass)

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.