AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room in the vicinity of my subwoofer starts rattling when I turn up the sound to manly levels. It sounds like a combination of window and drywall rattles.

I'm wondering what other people may have tried to track down and eliminate these annoying sounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Worked for me and very cheap/ took the hard foam packing from my subwoofer box about 3 in thick , some black spray paint and just set the woofer on top...I live in a trailer and everything would rattle and now no problems and looks decent too...Kind of like a textured flat rock

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybait /forum/post/15520770

Worked for me and very cheap/ took the hard foam packing from my subwoofer box about 3 in thick , some black spray paint and just set the woofer on top...I live in a trailer and everything would rattle and now no problems and looks decent too...Kind of like a textured flat rock

You are talking about rattling due to coupling with the floor.

He is talking about rattling due to energizing the room with bass.

That can be a difficult endeavor. One time I left my system on with one of the Blu-Ray intros looping and walked outside and heard my neighbor's gutters and downspouts rattling.

It just depends on what is rattling, some of my issues are inside the walls, ala pipes and wires. If you have the means to play test tones were the rattling takes place, you can then walk/crawl around and identify some of them.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Run a series of controlled frequency sweeps at near max level and not just for the sub the other speakers in the room will also be producing some form of buzzing or rattling. This can take days I mean days and days will turn into the possibility of week to tighten down and secure all loose items.

Windows

Window frame

Light fittings

Heaters

Floorboards

Floor joists

Plaster board walls

Ceiling

Speakers themselves may need securing

Fish tank

Door

Door handle

Door hinge

TV may be rattling due to it being a type of enclosure

TrueRTA has sound generator so that you can produce sine wave tones at the highest level possible within the loudspeakers technical tolerance level. As soon as you hear the buzzing or rattling sound slowly walk around and this will drive you mad insane and the wife will have you committed before the end of the week.

TrueRTA
http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like when my room shakes, rattles, and rolls.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had a lot of drywall rattling and decoupling the subwoofer from the floor with a subdude helped quite a bit.

Still the drywall rattled enough to be annoying so I bought some drywall screws, tracked down the rattles, and secured the drywall to the studs better with the screws. Patch and paint, problem solved.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO /forum/post/15521799

I had a lot of drywall rattling and decoupling the subwoofer from the floor with a subdude helped quite a bit.

Still the drywall rattled enough to be annoying so I bought some drywall screws, tracked down the rattles, and secured the drywall to the studs better with the screws. Patch and paint, problem solved.

subsonics will cause walls to flex and creak and no amount of screws will help

also dlp screens are a filmsy sheet of frosted plastic that will flex and make noise...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowcarIX /forum/post/15521824

subsonics will cause walls to flex and creak and no amount of screws will help

I look foward to someday having this problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts