AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been playing around with the Sine/sub feature of my Meridian processor lately and have discovered a couple of things in the process.


1) With the amount of low frequency information available on DVD these days, it is time for a new HT sub. I am thinking one of the BDEAP-32 subs from Sound Physics/Servodrive with a bridged Crown K2 amp might do nicely (thank you Jeff and the tech guys that have been helping with your HT).


2) I have got some nasty room resonances at low frequency in here. In the back corner of the room diagonally across from the current HT sub there is a nasty one at about 26-21 Hz. Any recommended fixes once you find these suckers.


Room EQ, which I will soon have, optimizes performance at the listening position so I will need something else to cure these nasties.


Any hints.


Searches pulled up nothing here or at HT Forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnug
1) With the amount of low frequency information available on DVD these days, it is time for a new HT sub. I am thinking one of the BDEAP-32 subs from Sound Physics/Servodrive with a bridged Crown K2 amp might do nicely (thank you Jeff and the tech guys that have been helping with your HT).
Such a set up would certainly let you experience all that LFE. Is your room solidly constructed and rattle free? If there is anything that can rattle it, it will with that much low frequency energy in the room.

Quote:
2) I have got some nasty room resonances at low frequency in here. In the back corner of the room diagonally across from the current HT sub there is a nasty one at about 26-21 Hz. Any recommended fixes once you find these suckers.
Is there a seating position in this corner? If not, don't sweat it too much. Equalization can help. Tuned low absorbtion can also help, reference the thread referenced by FormerlyHTbuph above.

Quote:
Room EQ, which I will soon have, optimizes performance at the listening position so I will need something else to cure these nasties.
Ideally equalization should be set using averaged readings over the listening area. Equalization can be used effectively to "deprive" room modes of energy but it is not very effective at "filling" nulls. Tuned absorbtion can help reduce the nulls. Again, if the particuar peak is occuring at a location outside the listening area, don't worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,312 Posts
JNUG,


If you are near Detroit, you could certainly come by and hear the subs and check out the digital EQ and it's set up.


BTW - I, too, am using a Meridian surround processor (565 - with a Smart Devices CS-3X JR) for DD EX, DTS-ES.


My two B-DEAPS are running on one Crown K2 (no bridging). How large is your room?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The length dimension of the room is 19'. For the first 8' of that 19' the room is 11.5 feet wide and the remaining 11' of that 19' the room is 10' wide. Ceiling is 8' throughout. The display is at the wide end of the room.


There is no seating position in the back corner (fortunately).


Mark was good enough to call me on my cell phone this evening and it still sounds like one of the BDEAP-32 subs for my system would do the trick.


Jeff, I do not live near Detroit but do travel there often enough on business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The length dimension of the room is 19'. For the first 8' of that 19' the room is 11.5 feet wide and the remaining 11' of that 19' the room is 10' wide. Ceiling is 8' throughout. The display is at the wide end of the room.


There is no seating position in the back corner (fortunately).


Mark was good enough to call me on my cell phone this evening and it still sounds like one of the BDEAP-32 subs for my system would do the trick.


Jeff, I do not live near Detroit but do travel there often enough on business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,312 Posts
JNUG,


Gotcha!


PM me next time you are coming to town. I am 40 minutes from the airport (Bloomfield Hills) and would be happy to demo them.


It is truly a revolutionary product for LFE.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top