AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advise on a economical way to separate my family room from my kitchen nook area. My family room is a three wall room that I use for my HT room. My plasma is on the east wall the fireplace on the south wall and the sliding door to my backyard on the west wall which is behind my main sitting area. The open area is of course the north side of the room and if there was a wall separating the family room it would be the perfectly square HT room. Could any one advise me on a low cost way to put a sliding wall something that the wife would agree with. It can't be an office cubicle. Thanks for any help...........

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
First of all Square would not be good, It is bad acoustically.

If you are looking to keep out sound there is nothing that you can do with just one wall even a built one that would work.

You could use some HEAVY drapes but that will only help marginally with sound, might help more with light IF you are looking to control that at all.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-junky /forum/post/14166176

I need advise on a economical way to separate my family room from my kitchen nook area. My family room is a three wall room that I use for my HT room. My plasma is on the east wall the fireplace on the south wall and the sliding door to my backyard on the west wall which is behind my main sitting area. The open area is of course the north side of the room and if there was a wall separating the family room it would be the perfectly square HT room. Could any one advise me on a low cost way to put a sliding wall something that the wife would agree with. It can't be an office cubicle. Thanks for any help...........

McCall is right about everything, so I won't reiterate. I'll just add that I don't know of anything in the way of a portable wall that could be added cheaply, at least not a structure that would do much in terms of noise reduction from one space to the other. I mean, if all you want is the illusion of separation then a couple of those oriental folding walls would do. A curtain is another option, as McCall pointed out. Mobile partition walls don't come cheap, and by the time you got it installed you might has well have built a stud wall.

You might actually be better off turning the whole thing so that your back is to the open part of the room and the sliding glass door is to your right. Better acoustically.

Frank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might actually be better off turning the whole thing so that your back is to the open part of the room and the sliding glass door is to your right. Better acoustically.

Frank[/quote]

I thought about this setup I just don't like the idea of the plasma being over the fireplace I use it a lot. I do think it would be best acoustically and would actually be able to use a bigger Plasma other than a 50 inch. My room is 14 by 17. Any idea how much sliding partitions would cost? the kind built on the ceiling 14 feet across 8 foot ceiling.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You'd have to call a contractor, but I suspect that building a hard wall will be a whole lot cheaper by the time you're done with labor and materials.

Frank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You'd have to call a contractor, but I suspect that building a hard wall will be a whole lot cheaper by the time you're done with labor and materials.

Frank

I would love to do this, but the wife likes open area so it would be an big argument coming, at least with a partition I could open and shut it. How good are partitions at keeping sound in? I'll check around.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 /forum/post/14171537

Frank

I would love to do this, but the wife likes open area so it would be an big argument coming, at least with a partition I could open and shut it. How good are partitions at keeping sound in? I'll check around.

You can have isolating (which is really just kind of a catch phrase...they'll provide good attenuation, but not real isolation) room partitions installed, but they are *very* bulky and *very* expensive. Not practical at all for a living space I would think. If you're talking about the light room partitions used in schools and that kind of thing, they'll provide some attenuation in the vocal band (1-6Khz or so), but that's about it. Again, not cheap or easy to install into a pre-existing space.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Frank

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts
Without knowing more about your situation or your plans I really don't see a compelling reason to go to the effort of closing off the living room from the kitchen.

You are not using a FP so light control is not that important and you already have black out shades. The sound isolation you get from any kind of movable wall is only going to be marginal at best.

I'd say live with it until you move to another house or expand this one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigMouthInDC,

Thanks, another room has always been a thought of mine and that will probably be the way I will go one day this was going to be temp fix . I thought by closing the room off I would get better sound. I do like the way it sounds now just always trying to make it better.

By the way BigMinDC I love the way your setup looks and is definitely motivating for me LOVE THAT BAR nice..........

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-junky /forum/post/14179914

By the way BigMinDC I love the way your setup looks and is definitely motivating for me LOVE THAT BAR nice..........

Greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts