AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked a 1000 times and I have actively used the search button to no avail.

I have just finished my basement and have a pretty decent sized room, problem is its a long narrow room forcing me to place our large sectional couch against the rear wall. (See Pics) I have yet to invest in a new set of rear surrounds and am undecided on going store bought vs DIY. My mains and center are DIY Clearwave 4T/4CC and I am currently building my 12" Dayton sub.

I foolishly ran the wire for my surrounds with the intent of ceiling mounting a set of speakers. However, from what I've read it is far more ideal to have your surrounds at listening level. I have come up with a contingency for this though that will allow me to run wire to the desired height of either wall.

My wife wants the speakers off the ground or where I originally intended. I am indifferent. Does anyone have any input on which direction I should go?

Here are the options that I've come up with:

1) Suck it up and just mount the surrounds on the ceiling as planned (although the design I'm looking at would be heavy)

2) wall mount some speakers at desired height (this would allow for heavier speaker)

3) Run wire through wall down to bottom and put surrounds on stands to get them to desired level

would bipole/dipole wall mounted work in my situation?

Thank you all for your help,

Bill

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 134LRS  /t/1415523/room-setup-for-5-1/0_100#post_22129145

I foolishly ran the wire for my surrounds with the intent of ceiling mounting a set of speakers. However, from what I've read it is far more ideal to have your surrounds at listening level.

I've always found a couple of feet or so above ear level, if not a little more, to be ideal. I also prefer to have some distance, if possible, between the far left and right viewers and the nearest surround speakers--not necessarily huge distances, but I definitely would not want the surrounds to be right next to anybody.
Quote:

1) Suck it up and just mount the surrounds on the ceiling as planned (although the design I'm looking at would be heavy)

This is just my opinion, of course, but in general I do not like ceiling-mounted or in-ceiling speakers--somewhat higher than ear level, yes, but not that high!
Quote:

2) wall mount some speakers at desired height (this would allow for heavier speaker)

3) Run wire through wall down to bottom and put surrounds on stands to get them to desired level

In your case, if possible I would mount the surrounds on the back wall using mounts that can pivot 90 degrees (such as the Pinpoint AM-40 ), and give the surrounds a little distance to the sides of the viewers while keeping them away from the side walls.
Quote:

would bipole/dipole wall mounted work in my situation?

In my opinion, your room layout is not ideal for bipole/dipole speakers (especially dipoles), although some people have had pleasing results with bipoles mounted on the back wall. While I tend to prefer monopoles (or direct-radiating or regular speakers--just names
) in general, even if I didn't I'd still recommend the configuration I described above with monopoles.

If you have any questions or would like me to give additional reasoning for these recommendations (I have reasons for just about everything
), then ask away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts