AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dedicated HT room is about 13x20. I have 6 columns I am building and four of those will house a speaker each for a 7.1 setup. I have started to set the columns in place tonight and now debating the 7.1 setup. I have two rows of seating. Back row is only about 2.5 feet from the back wall. Front row will be about 8 feet from the back wall. Distances are approximate head positions.

Now sitting in front row it will be about perfect for the 7.1 setup based on allowable 7.1 angles. But the back row is pretty much out of luck. The side columns are going to be just in front of them. This makes me think that I scrap the 7.1 and just go with 5.1. I guess I could swap between the two. If it is just front row viewers rock the 7.1. With full crowd roll the 5.1. Is this pretty common for similar sized rooms?

If you have a similar size room I'd love to see photos and a note if you are running 5.1 or 7.1 or swap between the based on viewers. Your side speaker positions is what I am most interested in.

I know the ultimate test will be listening to the setup. I think I can play with the side column positions before setting final positions. I may be able to move the side columns far enough back to be about even with rear seating and move the back columella closer together. Not sure what this will do the front rom sound image. Again, being able to play with column positions would really help if I can swing it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
My room is the same exact size, and in fact, I have 6 columns as well, 2 on each wall, and two on the back wall. I haven't yet completed it, but I've pre-wired for 7.1, in which I plan to put the side surrounds in the two columns further back in the room, and then the rear surrounds in the two columns in the back of the room. I'd be curious to hear others feedback, cause I've been contemplating just starting 5.1, and then eventually going to 7.1.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My room is a tad shorter than yours and I'm planning 7.1. Sound quality won't be ideal for the back row, but that's why you charge more to sit in the front.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I pretty much agree with Spaceman's comments.

Honestly, every seat should be considered, but build the layout optimized for *your* seat (be it in the front row or the back.)

Mine is about 14.5' by 24.5' with the back row about 4' from the back speakers and about 3 or 4 behind the side speakers. When sitting in the back row you can tell that the surrounds are louder than they should be (I can tell, no one else knows how loud they are supposed to be) because you are physically sitting too close to them. But otherwise they aren't distracting to the point of thinking something is wrong.

All my surrounds are direct radiating, if you have di/bipole surrounds ymmv.

-Suntan

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine is 13'6"x19'4" after two layers of drywall, planned 8 columns and pre-wired 11.4. You don't have to go 7.1 in the beginning but better plan and pre-wire for the future in you change your mind.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My room is a little smaller than yours, and I just downsized from 7.1 to 5.1 and it really cleaned up the soundfield. My seating is like your back row and therefore I couldn't get the two rears in the correct location. I'm enjoying the difference. Maybe you could try both to determine which you prefer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point about being the only one that cares. My guess is the kids will mostly sit in back row. I am going to be selfish and try the 7.1 with sweet spot in the front row.

Question, for those with a similar room size and 7.1. How close together are your rear back wall speakers? I was thinking matching the same distance between my front left and right speakers. Most 7.1 are pretty close to that layout.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree about focusing on the front row (center). For my theater, the kids and grandparents usually get stuck in the back row. If I have guests over, they get the front row and I sit in the back, but it's usually a movie that I've seen before so I don't really care. Besides, I like to move around during a movie and experience it from different seats if I can.

I would definitely wire up a 7.1 setup. In fact, I wired for a 9.2 setup myself, and put the extra 2 speakers in the "DSX Wide" positions. I sometimes switch over to the regular 5.1 surround mode to see the differences between the two configurations. The 7.1 with DSX Wides definitely sounds fuller and more dynamic, so I stick with that most of the time.

If I get bored, I'll move the Wide speakers to the back wall positions and give that arrangement a try. But your best bet is to at least run the wires to ALL positions to give yourself options later.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Drew. Running the 7.1 wires right now. Not going to secure pillars until I play with their position. I'll see if a few feet farther back make any difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts