AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working with our architect/builder in designing our new house, which will include a media room used mainly by just my wife and I. We are thinking about a 110 inch screen and a projector. And 5.1 or 7.1 sound.


1. What would be a good size (wxdxh) for the room (we'll probably want to add space for a couple of more seats but we need the entire floor to be completely for modility issues)? We were guessing/thinking 14x17x10


2. How far back from the screen should our eyes be?


3. If we did something to the ceiling like traying, would that cause acoustical problems. We've read a lot about the wall acoustics but no one seems to mention the ceiling, maybe because it's not a big issue when it comes to sound.


FYI - We are looking to spend $10,000-$12,000 (to an absolute max of $15,000) for audio/video/acoustical parts of the media room.


Thanks!
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenpaulrhodes
2. How far back from the screen should our eyes be?
11-12 ft. this is one of the times when putting the screen on the long wall with a single row of 4 seats may make the best sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0



11-12 ft. this is one of the times when putting the screen on the long wall with a single row of 4 seats may make the best sense.

This is what we've tentatively decided to do. We like about 13.5' from our eyes to the 110" screen, so, for the back wall to screen distance, we are going for 15-16', and for the width, where the 4 seats and some tables will go in the back of the room, we are thinking 18-19'.


Any more advice from anyone? Thanks!
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,569 Posts
Tray ceiling won't necessarily be a problem but you do need an overall acoustical treatment plan. This may give you some ideas.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=faq


Since you are orienting the theater the short way you need to check the potential projector location and whether you projector of choice will accommodate your choice of screen size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenpaulrhodes /forum/post/0


We are working with our architect/builder in designing our new house, which will include a media room used mainly by just my wife and I. We are thinking about a 110 inch screen and a projector. And 5.1 or 7.1 sound.


1. What would be a good size (wxdxh) for the room (we'll probably want to add space for a couple of more seats but we need the entire floor to be completely for modility issues)? We were guessing/thinking 14x17x10


2. How far back from the screen should our eyes be?


3. If we did something to the ceiling like traying, would that cause acoustical problems. We've read a lot about the wall acoustics but no one seems to mention the ceiling, maybe because it's not a big issue when it comes to sound.


FYI - We are looking to spend $10,000-$12,000 (to an absolute max of $15,000) for audio/video/acoustical parts of the media room.


Thanks!

After lots of media store visits and lots of thought, we have decided on a 15x23x10 room with 2 media chairs and tables so that our eyes are 14.5 inches back from a 120 inch screen. All of the room including walkways will be flat, since we are getting older and don't want to trip. Behind us will be a raised platform with 3 more media seats. This raised part for the seats only is the only rise in the whole house.


Since we don't break ground on the house until next summer, we won't get the equipment until probably the fall of 2012.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top