AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much space do these speakers truely need?I've been thinking about the 1.6QR and thought I had a fairly large room to put them in.But I read an owner state that they need at least to be 4ft from side walls and 12-14 apart.That means the room would have to be at least twenty ft.wide.Wow!Do they really need that much room?One of the main reasons for getting them would be the soundstage so I would want them a distance apart that does them justice,Any comments from maggie owners?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Well, it depends on how close you want to sit to them. ;)

1.6's are getting fairly large, and IMO a 15' wide room would be ok so long as you're not more than 8 to 10 feet back from the speakers. i.e., a 15 x 20 room should be plenty large enough, and down to perhaps 12 x 15 if it's a "music only" type of room where sitting fairly close is not a problem.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room is 14ft.6in. wide and 28ft.long.My current speakers 6 1/2 ft.from front wall.Theyre 4ft from side walls and 6ft. apart.The couch is 9ft.back from the front of the speakers.Will the 1.6 thrive in a similiar arrangement?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Yeah, I think they'd be fine. My suggestion would be to start with them 8 or 9 feet apart and apply proper sound absorption to the side walls going from the speaker plane to a little past the first reflection point. The absorption will help keep the soundstage from being too muddied by the wall proximity. Play around with the placement from that starting position until you find what sounds best to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.