AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any particular room dimensions that would dictate whether its worthwhile setting up a 7.1 system as opposed to a 5.1 system?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
No.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Depends on your tastes. My room is only 15' long, but, I can only use about 12' of it as the door is right behind the couch. I mounted 2 "rear" speakers on the wall 3' behind the couch and 1 side surround speaker on either side of the couch, all 4 mounted at ceiling level. I love the sound I get. Some might say it's not set up right, some might say I would be better off with 5.1, I say it's perfect. Try it, see if you like it, if not, return the speakers and move on. You won't know until you try.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobin50 /forum/post/14177743

Is there any particular room dimensions that would dictate whether its worthwhile setting up a 7.1 system as opposed to a 5.1 system?

Nope. Seating location, not room size, better determines whether you can pull off an effective 7.1-speaker set-up.

For example, if you were in a large room but had your couch against the back wall, you'd be a poor candidate for a 7.1 layout (no room behind you for the rear speakers). However, if you were in a small room with the seating a few feet from the back wall, you would be able to properly separate both pairs of surrounds for clear rear-vs-side imaging in the surround field.

My first 7.1 set-up was in a small 11x13.5 spare bedroom. My futon was around 8 feet from the front wall, which allowed the rear speaker to be a full 5 feet behind me (actually further, if you consider rear speaker spread and above ear-height placement). Worked very well: sounds at my sides were well clearly distinct from sounds behind me.

If your seating is at or near the back wall, irrespective of room size, stick with a 5.1 set-up.

Sanjay

·
Registered
291 Posts
How about my case. 1st row is about 6 feet behind back wall and 2nd row couch against back wall. Should I set 7.1 or 5.1.

BTW the room width only 11 feet or should I place only 1 back speaker to make it 6.1.

Which were be best for my case.

Thanks

Marcus

·
Registered
30,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan /forum/post/14187912

How about my case. 1st row is about 6 feet behind back wall and 2nd row couch against back wall. Should I set 7.1 or 5.1.

For me, it would depend on where the sweet spot is. If it is in the first row, then I would go 7.1. If the second row is the primary listening area, then I would do a 5.1 set-up.

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would think it's hard to do a 7.1 set-up in something smaller than 5x5 feet.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/14208298

I would think it's hard to do a 7.1 set-up in something smaller than 5x5 feet.

Are we talking HT in a closet!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

can i have some picture sod you room an setup

I'm thinking of going for 7.1

i have bower wilkins 

mt60d

currently 5.1 

with two rear speakers behind couch

was thinking of two more either side of couch 

my couch is back of room as well