AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 15 by 20 feet, Viewing distance about 12 to 15 feet depending where one sits. Is the room size and viewing distance adequate for a GW XBR 60" Which is what I want or should I go for the smaller 50" model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Sony manual calls for sitting at least 6' away on the 50" and 7' away on the 60" and within 60 degrees of the vertical viewing area and 130 degrees of the horizontal.

If you're watching analog OTA, you'll want to sit much further back.

The Sony recommendations work best with HD content.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My room is similar size, but my entertainment center could not hold anything bigger than a 52" Panny DLP (my viewing distance is 9'-12'). The 12'-15' viewing distance could probably support the 60" if that was your preference.

The 50" vs. 60" decision will probably be personal choice versus based on others' inputs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey,

Well My room is 11ish by 13ish, and I will be about 10 ft from the screen, since I will put it in the corner, so I am gonna try to go with the 60, because I want the movie theater experience. I might be in for a shock when it takes up my entire room, but hey, that's what i get for putting a mini-theater in my 11x13 room.

:->

The real issue, if you go with the 50, you will be thinking, "Should I have gone bigger?" You won't be able to sleep at night, this question will haunt you...

"Should I have gone bigger?"

Is it haunting anyone yet?

Plus you can always exchange it, so maybe it won't be too haunting!!!

:->

Later!

·
Registered
422 Posts
There are three questions to answer when choosing among differnt sizes of TV:

1. Is it big enough/will it fit? -- i.e., size itself.

2. Is it a good fit for the room lighting?

3. Is it a good fit for the budget? -- are other components being short-changed

1. If you or others watching in the room have to sit too close, or too far to the side, they'll see the pixels or have a dim view and lose the theater experience entirely. But usually the issue is it big enough to really provide a theater-style view.

2. Bigger models with the same internals are less bright than smaller ones. In a room that has a lot of ambient light, a bigger TV may seem a little dim and reflections may seem worse. In a room that's really dark, a bigger screen may be more comfortable to watch because it isn't as bright.

3. Sound has a similar effect on the theater experience as a large screen does. If there isn't a clear-cut benefit in going larger, but you would gut or eliminate the audio to pay for the biggest screen, it's not as good as getting a screen that's big enough and surrounding it with the audio to make what you're seeing really credible.

For example, in LOTR:FOTR, in the Moria battle scene, when the troll swings the chain it is the sound of it coming at you that really makes you duck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm 11' back from the set. I have the 60" unit. Size is perfect, sets on a 20" stand, view distance is excellent. I wouldn't want the 50, to small for the theatre experience. Go 60, you won't regrett it for movies.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MChilli
I'm 11' back from the set. I have the 60" unit. Size is perfect, sets on a 20" stand, view distance is excellent. I wouldn't want the 50, to small for the theatre experience. Go 60, you won't regrett it for movies.
would you still feel the same way if you were sitting a foot closer (10') to the set? I'm thinking about cancelling my 50" (samsung) order to go with the 60". i'm just afraid that 10' might be too close for my digital cable. what do you think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot so it's going to be 60" for me.

On another note I see a lot of movies being shown in the 16:9 format on the IFC and Sundance on DTV with the station logo showing below the 16:9 frame. If I was to tune into these channels with the Sony HD200 via DVI will the picture fill up the screen like the anamorphic DVD's? How about component. If not what is the best way to watch these movies?

·
Registered
349 Posts
broadwayblue,

I see you live in Manhattan, if you have the room for it, go for the 60. Even at 10', I think you will like the screen size. Like I said, the 60 really gives you that big screen feel. In fact, I moved my sofa about 6-8" closer once the set arrived.

As for PQ with digital cable, I can not say. I have analog cable, just waiting for HD cable to arrive (so I hope). Finally, tonight, I was getting a good signal on the cable and the PQ was good on many channels. Like I've said before, this set does a great job with good source material, and looks like crap with bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.