AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching for a product that allows me to monitor multiple room temperatures. I would like the controller to be IP enabled, web based either Ethernet or 802.11 with the ability to connect up to 8 wireless temperature sensors. Does anyone know of such a product or something similar? I'm not particularly interested to controlling the temperature, I just want to monitor with email alerts and a web interface. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Lots of solutions... Google "remote temperature sensor" and you'll get a ton. You're probably going to want a wireless sensor and "gateway" style setup, but you'll still find that these are not super-cheap.

Like this one: Sensors are only $50.

http://www.monnit.com/

Lots of "app-based" data collection devices, but they seem to be at $150/device.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a raspberry pi in the attic with a dozen ds18b20 sensors on it. 4 for monitoring attic temps so I can turn on extra fans, 2 for outside, intake and exhaust of air conditioner, and one on the attic stairs so I can see if my insulating hatch is helping.

Sensors can be had for less than a dollar each in bulk, with wire, power supply, rpi 3, I'm at about $60 and 2 hours soldering, testing, programming, and stringing it up in the attic.

If you did one rpi zero, power supply, wifi dongle, and one sensor, you'd still be under $20 a piece.

I couldn't find a wifi temp sensor for any reasonable price.

There are directions to make that setup post to a website or feed an app. Mine just posts to Google Drive every 24 hours or I pull it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a raspberry pi in the attic with a dozen ds18b20 sensors on it. 4 for monitoring attic temps so I can turn on extra fans, 2 for outside, intake and exhaust of air conditioner, and one on the attic stairs so I can see if my insulating hatch is helping.

Sensors can be had for less than a dollar each in bulk, with wire, power supply, rpi 3, I'm at about $60 and 2 hours soldering, testing, programming, and stringing it up in the attic.

If you did one rpi zero, power supply, wifi dongle, and one sensor, you'd still be under $20 a piece.

I couldn't find a wifi temp sensor for any reasonable price.

There are directions to make that setup post to a website or feed an app. Mine just posts to Google Drive every 24 hours or I pull it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
This sounds interesting, I also completed a similar project using Arduino.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts