AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

Recently i bought Dynaudio Exite x12 speakers as an upgrade to my Dali Concept 2 speakers. They are connected to my Denon AVR-2105 receiver, I use my pc and the DAC of the Denon as a source. The system is in my bedroom. While i was browsing my favorite records i noticed sibilance on many of them. After contact with the shop I decided to let them burn in. While the loudspeakers where burning in, my receiver broke, and that was an excellent opportunity to experiment with various sources and amps. What I noticed was that the setups sounded brighter than in the shop. When the receiver was fixed again, I noticed that the sibilance was less, but not gone. For awhile I tried to get used to the amount of sibilance that my system produced, that was a bad idea. So now I want to treat the room. I've already tried to move the speakers and to deploy pillows and other soft objects in my room. My latest improvements include: connect the receiver direct to the outlet of the wall and toe-in of the speakers. I will post pictures of my room.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
Try not aiming the speakers directly at you from such a short distance. I am playing with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110As and have them tilted up and not toed-in. No problem with sibilance.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man /forum/post/19607906

What is the best way to do that?

The Dynaudio table stands or Auralex MoPads would do fine or you can rig up something ad hoc.

Quote:
And i like to know if power optimalisations can help.

I do not know what you mean by that.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The large glass window on the right side is acting as a big reflecting surface from which sound waves coming from the speakers will bounce and cause wave inference and general muddiness. If you don't already have some, put some soft curtains (not blinds) around them and keep them closed during critical listening. They will act as absorbers and tame those reflections, at least on the right side. That's one inexpensive treatment.

Kal's suggestion of the Auralex Mopads is excellent (I just got some Speaker Dudes from Auralex and they are terrific, but overpriced). You need to raise those speakers off the desk for two reasons. One, you want to get the tweeters to be as close to ear-level height as possible (ear-level while you are sitting in listening position, not standing). Two, you want to de-couple the speakers from the surface of the desk. This will keep your desk from vibrating with the speakers and acting as a sort of giant speaker itself. It will also improve the clarity of the sound from the speakers, as the sound waves coming from them won't be getting so much interference from the reflections off the hard surface of your desk.

You do need bass traps of some sort in all of your room's corners, to the extent practical. The lower frequency waves have the longest wave lengths and thus bounce around the most in your room. Eventually, they make it to every corner and back to your ears, causing boominess and a lack of tightness in the bass. Bass traps minimize the reflecting of those bass waves all over your room by absorbing them and keeping them in the corners, where they won't bounce back and through wave interference cause nulls and peaks at your listening point (this also requires optimum subwoofer placement with respect to your listening point).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 /forum/post/19609569

The large glass window on the right side is acting as a big reflecting surface from which sound waves coming from the speakers will bounce and cause wave inference and general muddiness. If you don't already have some, put some soft curtains (not blinds) around them and keep them closed when you're during critical listening. They will act as absorbers and tame those reflections, at least on the right side. That's one inexpensive treatment.

I do not hear the difference, yet. I wil do some critical listening tomarrow.

Quote:

Kal's suggestion of the Auralex Mopads is excellent (I just got some Speaker Dudes from Auralex and they are terrific, but overpriced). You need to raise those speakers off the desk for two reasons. One, you want to get the tweeters to be as close to ear-level height as possible (ear-level while you are sitting in listening position, not standing). Two, you want to de-couple the speakers from the surface of the desk. This will keep your desk from vibrating with the speakers and acting as a sort of giant speaker itself. It will also improve the clarity of the sound from the speakers, as the sound waves coming from them won't be getting so much interference from the reflections off the hard surface of your desk.

They are already raised (you can't see it in the picture), there was a big improvement when i did that.

Quote:

You do need bass traps of some sort in all of your room's corners, to the extent practical. The lower frequency waves have the longest wave lengths and thus bounce around the most in your room. Eventually, they make it to every corner and back to your ears, causing boominess and a lack of tightness in the bass. Bass traps minimize the reflecting of those bass waves all over your room by absorbing them and keeping them in the corners, where they won't bounce back and through wave interference cause nulls and peaks at your listening point (this also requires optimum subwoofer placement with respect to your listening point).

The bass is fine, that is not part of my problem. My problem is Ssssssssssssssibilance. Vocals on a lot of the recordings are emphasising S-sounds. I do not understand why. When i Demo ed these speakers there was no trace of it and the excites are known (according to reviews) to be very smooth speakers with an midrange that is clear, but certainly not sibilant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
That will not help one bit. If that is what the shop recommended, they have no clue.
What do suggest?

I called the Dealer of dynaudio and he says that in general dynaudio's does not produce sibilance. He suggested to try another room or source.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man /forum/post/19618899

What do suggest?

I called the Dealer of dynaudio and he says that in general dynaudio's does not produce sibilance. He suggested to try another room or source.

I agree. I am sitting in my office/study with a pair of the Focus 110As on the top of the storage unit about 33" high. They are being fed from a Squeezebox Touch and the sound is balanced with good bass and smooth treble. No sibilance. Also, no room treatments/EQ/tone controls.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man /forum/post/19619755

My english is not that good. What do you mean by "off-set" ?

from your diagram, it looks like you are not sitting in the center of your Left/Right speakers --- you appear to be sitting further on the right side. any reason for this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127
from your diagram, it looks like you are not sitting in the center of your Left/Right speakers --- you appear to be sitting further on the right side. any reason for this?
When i really want to listen to my music i will sit in the center, but my desk is at the right side, for casual listening i will listen at my desk.

Another interesting point is that the Focus series is less bright than the Excite series according to forum posts. If this is true, it could be possible to spot the sibilance easier on the excites.

Another thing is i tested my speakers on a Rotel stereo amp and the sibilance was gone. But that amp costs €900 and i lose the 5.1 possibility. Maybe a new sibilance free receiver (the Denon is also the source) is a good starting point.

Because i don't want to spend a lot of money on my bedroom setup, i am willing to look at occasions.

Mind you all: The above are only suggestions, if you guys think that new equipment does not solve anything, i will try to find other ways to improve my sound

·
Registered
5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man /forum/post/19618899

What do suggest?

Another source will not matter either. Does this issue happens with all your music discs or just some? Recordings could have sibilance in them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ /forum/post/19628306

Another source will not matter either. Does this issue happens with all your music discs or just some? Recordings could have sibilance in them.

No not all disks. Here are the disks where it is most present:

- Mumford and Sons

- Norah Jones - come awat with me

-Counting Crows - August and everything

- John Mayer - Battle Studios

Sibilance free Recordings

-Aerosmith - Greatest Hits

- Adele - 19

-Christina Agulera

-Joe Bonamassa

-JOss Stone

·
Registered
5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man /forum/post/19629896

No not all disks. Here are the disks where it is most present:

- Mumford and Sons

- Norah Jones - come awat with me

-Counting Crows - August and everything

- John Mayer - Battle Studios

Sibilance free Recordings

-Aerosmith - Greatest Hits

- Adele - 19

-Christina Agulera

-Joe Bonamassa

-JOss Stone

If that is the case, then I think you have source issues,Cds, not component issues. Need better recordings.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts