AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how other people deal with room vibrations and if it even bothers you.

My system is in a small room, under 1500 cubic feet, in my basement, that opens up to no other rooms. I have a Klipsch Rf-82 system with a SVS pb12-plus. I listen to everything LOUD!

I've had two problems with vibrations so far, the first was the vents in the ceiling. I solved the problem by wedging pieces of wood between the vents and the ceiling from another room.

The second was today when I popped in the Beastie Boys greatest hits. Some of the bass on that CD is insane. I had such a nasty vibration from the wall beside my SVS that it was noticable at every level. I ended up in the garage cutting wood and bracing the 2x6"s under the stairs with 2x4's cross wise. Which led me to cut more wood to place in between the 2x4's and the drywall.

Anyway it worked and no more vibrations!

I'm wondering if this bothers people as much as it does me.

I would hate to spend big money on a sub and have to listen to a china cabinet or something else shaking like mad.

I want to hear nothing but whats coming from the speakers.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Wavelengths of frequencies may not be the same at the listening position. In other parts of the room boundaries where certain frequencies will curse vibrations buzzes and rattles is not uncommon.

The worse would be wooden floor that as stretched or shrank due to temperature differences and you may have door that buzzes in the winter or window a bookshelf even the TV monitor can vibrate or buzz and rattle and I’ve solved a few of those little undesirable issues.

Something it’s not as easy to locate the offending buzzing rattling that is, be excited by the low frequencies sound waves. Running a frequency sweep from 20Hz up to 200Hz may locate a lot buzzes and rattles in the room that needs to be played at different sound pressure levels because you may think you’ve sorted it, then comes along a film that hasn’t used much of the frequency response at high levels and then you, purse the DVD and stand up and start jumping up and down!

Yes its bugger is all I can say. Concrete flooring reduces the issue buy huge amount thou, there may be a few items in the room that will still buzz and rattle, maybe the door, the TV, a light fitting, window.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have wall sconces that buzz now that I have a Epik Knight, I don't remember hearing them do that with my SVS PC Ultra12. Oh also my electrical panel that is in the theater was also rattling where it didn't with the SVS. But then the screws were loose, were it could have just started rattling no matter what sub would be down there.

Just need to fix those darn lights...and I am not sure how as everything that can be tightened is well tight.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I ran a test tone cd of low frq's starting at 15htz and played them at different levels to see where my vibs were and then fixed them much in the same way you did. I did remove a closet door completley as there was a vib I could not stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to add my two doors! They can rattle in the frames incredibly loud. Even if you open them just a bit they will still make noise, so I now close them both with a sock between them and the frame!!

My friends ask "why do you have socks stuck in your doors". I just tell them they wouldn't understand.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr /forum/post/14226652

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my two doors! They can rattle in the frames incredibly loud. Even if you open them just a bit they will still make noise, so I now close them both with a sock between them and the frame!!

My friends ask "why do you have socks stuck in your doors". I just tell them they wouldn't understand.

Yeah stick a sock in it!
At least you’ll know where there’s a spare sock when you’re hard-up for clean sock. . [Jeffmtbr remembers where he stuck the other sock]“Oh it’s stuck between, the door.” This is only the start of going senile, sticking socks in-between doors.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Try a subdude, it should help you a lot with the bass/vibrating issue...

There is a dediecated thread in this forum about subdude...

I was skeptical at first, but it does perform than any other foam/carpet/platform/rubber feet I have treid on my hardwood floor...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Not everybody is on wood/wood sub flooring, where the sub dude/grammas would do little.

Oh watched Finding Nemo last night found a new rattle I didn't know about before, top of the stairs door makes a lot of noise or so said my sleeping wife

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr /forum/post/14226377

I'm wondering how other people deal with room vibrations and if it even bothers you.

The second was today when I popped in the Beastie Boys greatest hits.

Now that is a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one.

Try playing some good music and your house may stop complaining.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz /forum/post/14236198

Now that is a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one.

Try playing some good music and your house may stop complaining.

Give me some examples and I'll give them a try.

I'll let you know what I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts