AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup Guys. So my current “home theater” is in a spare bedroom, 14’x12’. While this has been great and fun, I need a bigger room, and I need much better soundproofing. My thoughts are to build a “room within a room” in my 19'x20' garage. The garage is currently being used as a temporary workshop/storage unit…I would likely relocate the workshop to a shed out back, if I carry out this plan. I have some woodworking/construction experience, and I’ve got my father (engineer/woodworking master) on tap to help out as far as getting this room built. I have done significant amounts of research in soundproofing and the different techniques used to achieve it. I’ve read through most of the “Soundproofing Master” thread, as well as different threads here and there on the matter (BassThatHz build thread and “Epic Fail!”, Paul Woodlock’s studio build, and many more). Of course I want to build a very quiet room, keeping exterior noise out, but the bigger concern is neighbors being exposed to bass frequencies while I watch movies at reference levels. I’ve also read through a lot of the green glue information sites and threads. It seems that nearly all research and info out there is based on STC ratings and “above 80Hz” frequencies. As we all know, the stuff below 80Hz is the hard part, and by far the most important part imo. I own the house, but I will not live there forever, so building a concrete bunker or even using cinder blocks it out of the question. So the real question here is, how good can I do blocking sub 80Hz frequencies with multiple layers or OSB/Drywall? My initial thoughts were to first, semi treat the garage itself. At a minimum, I will need to insulate and build a wall over the garage door. I’ll be taking down the tracks and motor, but leaving the garage door up, so that everything looks “normal” from the outside…otherwise my HOA would kill me. On that note, I’m not entirely sure how “to code” building a room within a garage is…I’ll need to check with the city, or just keep everything off the books. Anyway, I would build this full wall over the garage door, and then treat any holes/cracks in the rest of the garage, to semi seal it up. There are no windows. The real “soundproofing” will happen with the inner room. My idea was to build a completely discrete room within the garage. The dimensions would be somewhere around 19’x14’x8’. I would likely frame all walls, ceiling and floor with 2x4’s. The floor would be built on some type of rubber isolators that would then sit on the concrete slab. All walls and ceiling would not touch any part of the garage, and be built at least 6” off any garage wall. I figure there’s no point in spending a ton of cash of clips, isolation rails or whatever else, when I could build the inner room to not have any contact with the garage walls at all. After the framing is complete, I would start layering up the OSB, from the inside. I originally thought about building the “standard” OSB-GG-OSB combo, but after seeing some measurement results (BassThatHz specifically). I wondered if multiple layers, 4, 5 maybe even 6 of OSB, would do much better. I understand that for blocking

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
I don't think there is anyone here with experience with more than one layer of OSB plus a layer or two of Drywall with green glue. How good a 4-6 layer OSB assembly with no GG will perform? can't say. You could always start with a couple of layers, test with some speakers and keep adding layers until you make it as quiet as you want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Yes, I have not been able to find much info on several layers of OSB/Drywall, except Paul Woodlock's build, and I don't think he ever measured or stated how well it contained bass. Is there possibly a calculator or formula out there to calculate how much mass at a given density will "stop" sound?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts