AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am about to set up a HT which has a drop down acoustically transparent screen, along with 5.1 (maybe 5.2) speakers.

There will also be a wall mounted LCD Screen which will drop down for use during the day / in high ambient lighting situations - it will drop down in front of the center speaker (this config would therefore require TV only sound, or TV speakers as center +4.1, but in any case the wall mounted center turned off)

Finally there will be Music setup - neither screen active, 5.1 speaker config RoomEQ set for "free air" (not through the screen)

There are three RoomEQ configurations I therefore require:

1) 5.1 through the acoustically transparent screen

2) 5.1 with TV as center channel (wall mounted center disabled)

3) Music config 5.1 in "free air" (not through screen)

are there any receivers, prepro's, etc... with the required memory configuration options to allow this to be an easy single push button switch over?

(currently using an Onkyo TX-SR876 with Audyssey which definitely does not do this!)

thanks

David

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Unfortunately, not even the high-end AVRs and processors have multiple room EQ memories I have the the Denon flagship AVP and it only supports one RoomEQ or speaker config at a time.

I also hope more units start supporting multiple settings, as I also have an AT screen, but would like to have a preset for no-screen.

·
Premium Member
93,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum  /t/1468179/roomeq-speaker-setup-memories-which-pre-processors-or-avrs/0_100#post_23203818

Very frustrating - Audyssey have also stated that they have been trying to convince manufacturers to include multiple config memories - without much luck... (clearly!)

Although Audyssey can only save a single configuration at a time to a PC file, it is possible to rename each configuration to a unique name and then rename them back to the original SAVEd file name in order to LOAD the file to the AVR, the process taking about 10 minutes or so each time and obviously not something that would occur with a single button push as you would prefer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HK 760 was on my shortlist - but its Australian price was more than double the US price...

And the current AVR3700 doesn't seem to have this feature. (maybe they will release an AVR7700?)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468179/roomeq-speaker-setup-memories-which-pre-processors-or-avrs#post_23203879

Although Audyssey can only save a single configuration at a time to a PC file, it is possible to rename each configuration to a unique name and then rename them back to the original SAVEd file name in order to LOAD the file to the AVR, the process taking about 10 minutes or so each time and obviously not something that would occur with a single button push as you would prefer.

How can I save a configuration to a PC file - there is no obvious PC interface method between my Onkyo TX-SR876 and my HTPC.....

Is what you are talking about specific to particular AVR's/Propro's? or Perhaps pro version Audyssey?

thanks

David

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
If you can accept the quirks and have patience to keep trying until you get a good setup setup, the Sherwood R972 w/Trinnov has 3 memories and is arguably the best sounding receiver out there.

It's discontinued but available on closeout; see it's thread(s).

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1468179/roomeq-speaker-setup-memories-which-pre-processors-or-avrs#post_23204051

If you can accept the quirks and have patience to keep trying until you get a good setup setup, the Sherwood R972 w/Trinnov has 3 memories and is arguably the best sounding receiver out there.

It's discontinued but available on closeout; see it's thread(s).

I second the R-972 recommendation.

I have not tried the Audyssey XT32 at home, but the R-972's Trinnov Optimizer is head and shoulders above what I got from Audyssey XT.

My set up is a 7.1 TV room - really a "fake" 9.1, since I have strung two pairs of Surrounds (positioned high and low) and I also remap the Surround Back amps for Front Heights - Trinnov's remapping does wonders with it

I also use the R-972 analog input (and the Surround Back amps) to drive 2.1 in my Stereo room (with a different Trinnov preset).

Both rooms suck acoustically: fairly large, bare, lots of glass, hardwood floors.The Audyssey XT improved very little on the built-in Velodyne EQ (I have Velodyne subs with the built-in EQ turned in in both rooms). The Trinnov Optimizer, on the other hand, tamed both rooms and I am completely happy with the sound for the first time ever.

·
Premium Member
93,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum  /t/1468179/roomeq-speaker-setup-memories-which-pre-processors-or-avrs/0_100#post_23204027

How can I save a configuration to a PC file - there is no obvious PC interface method between my Onkyo TX-SR876 and my HTPC.....

Is what you are talking about specific to particular AVR's/Propro's? or Perhaps pro version Audyssey?

thanks

David

The config SAVE/LOAD to a PC file is a feature of Denon networking models.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately the Sherwood / Trinnov has never been available in Australia...

Config Save/Load to PC file sounds interesting - has distinct possibilities! I will look into which AVR's have that type of feature - thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts