AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in trying out the free trial of Roon, however all of my music is either stored locally on my laptop and streamed wirelessly to my Sonos and HT processor, or is part of the apple music subscription (saved songs aren't really "owned" far as I can tell). Will roon do what it does with curated playlists and grant me full access to both parts of my library while still using perhaps a different service like tidal to do curated music discovery?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It will. Tidal and Quoboz are offered as sources.

There is a 30 day free trial. There used to be a code on one of these videos that went up to 90 days:

I use it and love it. Curated playlists can't be matched by any of the streaming services I use.

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my only question that still remains is what happens to all the music I have bookmarked via my apple music subscription? I can still airplay it whatever endpoint I am using but it won't take any advantage of roon the way my physically saved apple music library will, is that correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It will. Tidal and Quoboz are offered as sources.

There is a 30 day free trial. There used to be a code on one of these videos that went up to 90 days:

I use it and love it. Curated playlists can't be matched by any of the streaming services I use.
What streaming services do you use? I find Apple Music recommendations absolutely excellent. In fact it’s the first service that offers far more interesting stuff than I have time to listen to, 3 months later.

Qobuz essentially starting looping recommendations in a week, Tidal in about 2-3. Apple comes up with lots of albums every single day - sometimes I wish it would stop since I had no time to go though the previous list!

I listen mostly to jazz/electronic/fusion/modern classical.

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What streaming services do you use? I find Apple Music recommendations absolutely excellent. In fact it’s the first service that offers far more interesting stuff than I have time to listen to, 3 months later.

Qobuz essentially starting looping recommendations in a week, Tidal in about 2-3. Apple comes up with lots of albums every single day - sometimes I wish it would stop since I had no time to go though the previous list!

I listen mostly to jazz/electronic/fusion/modern classical.
I'm the same. I have spotify as well but increasingly I am sticking to apple music for streaming and curated playlists. With their new announcement on High-Res being included with the monthly subscription I'd certainly love to see Roon include it so you can do stuff through Roon like you can with tidal and quoboz

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm the same. I have spotify as well but increasingly I am sticking to apple music for streaming and curated playlists. With their new announcement on High-Res being included with the monthly subscription I'd certainly love to see Roon include it so you can do stuff through Roon like you can with tidal and quoboz
I doubt that a Roon-Apple/Spotify integration is going to happen. Personally I find Roon unnecessary and ridiculously overpriced.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So my only question that still remains is what happens to all the music I have bookmarked via my apple music subscription? I can still airplay it whatever endpoint I am using but it won't take any advantage of roon the way my physically saved apple music library will, is that correct?
That's correct. On Roon, you link the folder(s) that contain your local music and it imports them into Roon. You would stream Apple Music to your endpoint using the app on your phone or tablet and switch to the Roon app when you want to use that.

I have a couple TB's of music stored on a NAS, which can be accessed other ways (BluOS, Sonos, etc), but none as simple and elegant as Roon. It takes just about any type of file you can throw at it and will decode if necessary for your endpoint (SACD files). You can create playlists with a mix of local and streamed music if you sub to Tidal/Quobuz. The rabbit hole is deep when you want to look for some new tunes to listen to with how everything is laid out in the app.

It's not for everyone, but some of us find a lot of value for the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts