AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan has been to have a soffit overhang with a string of rope lights going around it, causing some diffuse uplighting that will be controlled via grafik eye.

However, I think we have finalized on a fairly dark grey for ceiling and I'm wondering whether we will see any effect from the rope lighting or whether it will all just be absorbed.

Has anyone done a dark ceiling with rope lighting? Any comments?

Color scheme is still adjustable, wife is looking at some GOM samples.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
PAP,

What are GOM samples?

We use a rope light to illuminate painted sky murals. The breathtaking transition for the "sunrise/sunset" is lost with the dark color, but if you want accent lighting it is effective.

We had a medical office that spec'd for the dome surface to be painted a kacky gray to match the carpet... so we do have a few techniques we developed that our painter/cove light guru can share with you to get the most out of your color scheme. His email is: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
"What are GOM samples?"

GOM = Guilford of Maine - a company that sells acoustically transparent fabric in a large array of colors.
www.guilfordofmaine.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi PAP

I have done the rope lighting thing. I too at first though this would look really cool and have that theater effect. But sadly its not what I thought it would be some how I expected more. I have a grayish purple ceiling but it just seems to wash out the lighting. My cousin and my self spent hours doing a beautiful job on lowering the crown moulding and recessing the lighting behind the moulding. I thought it would grow on me but it has not so I think I'm going to take it all down raise the crown to the ceiling and do some nice wall sconces.

I don't want discourage anyone from trying it or doing it but for myself it just didn't turn out to my liking, but maybe I'm too pickey.

Steven :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
What color(s) are on the rest of the walls? Would a colored rope light look good in there?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I have a burgundy ceiling (and walls) with rope light mounted 6" below the ceiling shining up and have been very pleased with the look...

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
You can also double-up in the runs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
Thanks for the feedback sharms. I'm starting to think it may be a bit too gimicky over time and that it won't provide enough light to be useful.

Haven't decided the final colors, but we have picked out a couple GOM colors that we're leaning towards right now:

Smoky Quartz (looks a lot ligher and slightly bluer in real lighting)

Lily Pad - Ink

Anchorage - Onyx
Great colors PAP,

Did I remember you saying you were going to go with a frame style GOM covering similar to what Jerry Pease did? Or did I dream that?

If so, have you given that any more thought?

J

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rayjr
Well here is a picture of my rope lighting setup...sounds like what you want to do.

Hope this helps
http://www.avcmall.com/htroom/crown11.jpg

By the way...ceiling is gray...walls dark blue.

Rayjr

Rayjr,

That is shaping up very, very nice...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe - yes we are thinking about doing that because we love the no chair-rail look.

Unfortunately all the detail in the thread he posted appear to have been deleted. I had forgotten the name of the original poster - thanks for reminding me, I hope I can get in touch with him to get some more details on his technique.

Do you know his username?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ray - that ceiling looks lighter grey, is it? We are planning a black ceiling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
Joe - yes we are thinking about doing that because we love the no chair-rail look.

Unfortunately all the detail in the thread he posted appear to have been deleted. I had forgotten the name of the original poster - thanks for reminding me, I hope I can get in touch with him to get some more details on his technique.

Do you know his username?
Hi PAP,

It's Jerry Pease on this board http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/vi...=asc&start=750

J

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that link - that is him indeed. I wonder why he deleted all the info here....

·
Registered
641 Posts
This thread may have already moved beyond the light question however....

I did exactly what sharms described and LOVED it. I had dark blue walls with a very inky (near black) ceiling. The crown was dropped about 5 inches from the ceiling and it looked fantastic. I got more comments on the cherry stained crown and dimmable uplighting hidden behind than nearly any other aspect of the room.

I will be doing the same in the room I am working on now. It would not seem complete without it, imo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too have a flat black ceiling and the diffuse light from the rope lighting above the crown molding is very nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.