AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "simple" HT (if there is such a thing) with just one row of seats and couch because of room dimensions, but I would like to add a row of rope lights so that folks can see their feet when they hustle out of a darkened room to tinkle or to grab a beer (or both). Placing rope lights underneath the couch and chairs illuminated the small walkway well without casting light onto the front projection screen, but the lights are too hot to leave on for any extended period, even if dimmed.

I tried mounting the lights with the supplied clips on the wall in back of the couch and chairs, just above the baseboard. But the light dispersal is now cut to such a degree that, though safely "cooled" in that position, they do not reflect enough light under the couch to light that small walkway.

I live in a pretty isolated part of the country: we have a Lowe's, but I couldn't find a solution there. I'm puzzled to find packaging photos of rope lights mounted on carpeted steps but severe warnings inside on overheating!

Gary

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Gary,

I have the rope light that comes in 150 ft bulk spools. You can cut it at every 18 inches. I have two stands that are about 50 feet each plugged into a dimable dual outlet. My rope light is laying in a wooden tray behind my crown molding. When I first plugged the light in, it had a new plastic smell that diminished after an hour or so. The rope light also was quite warm. However, for whatever reason, I can now hold it in my hand without it becoming too warm to the touch. I also have a three foot section mounted under a step (not touching anything but wood).

I would think you could lay the rope light on or under a step lip that is trimmed with carpet, but would suggest venting it from at least one side.

good luck

·
Registered
348 Posts
their is no problems with rope lighting all it is is christmas lights in a plastic the plastic works as a heat sink and dispater the heat i have all my rope lithting righ in the carpet and undre the couch atached to the wood and i have had it on for hours if it dont melt the plastic you should not have any trubbles

·
Registered
204 Posts
We used rope lighting on the tops of our kitchen cabinets and I took an extra strand into the movie room to see if it could be used as background lighting during viewing. The rope was placed behind the TV a little coiled for one hour until I smelled something burning. Sure enough, the plastic coverings were all melting together- extremely HOT. Since then, I have been careful to not let it touch itself with no problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've experience no problems with rope lights and heating. In fact, after being on for several hours, the rope was barely even _warm_ to the touch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.