AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been lurking EV's Best Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF Antenna Review Test Round-Up Guide LINK for a couple of days now...

i would like to point-out that i am NOT an engineer, so i fundamentally understand the BASICS of antenna functions... though, i did once use a 6ft piece of coax with a pair of needle nose pliers touching the middle wire on the other end and got 100% single on all channels, when the towers were 5 miles away. luck?

so, i need some advice for which would be the best antenna for my situation

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a32660c64a22

i really only need to get the channels in green, the yellow wouldnt hurt

so, 30mi max to furthest tower

i live in a condo/townhouse. and i know the fcc allows me to have external antenna if i need it, but i dont want to deal with the hassle of talking to the home owners association.

i have a friends homemade antenna (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie), but i couldnt get a solid signal from it... i tried it in the same place where my current antenna is and in my attic, but i couldnt even get signal there (guessing something to do with the 50ft coax cable and the asphalt shingles). i need to try putting some tin-foil on cardboard and putting that behind it, see if it makes it any better...

i do have a couple of pine trees outside my window, and there another row of townhomes about 150ft south that are 1 story higher than my own. ironically, my single downstairs seems to "pause" and block for 1-2 seconds when a car drives by on the NORTH side of my townhouse!? i have never been able to figure that one out, unless there there reflection of signal off the car/vehicle as it drives by that causes the signal to go weird on a channel directly south from me (with the car on the north)

i also have an old RCA similar to Basic Non-Amplified Rabbit Ears & Loop and it picks up about 3 channels upstairs and 0 downstairs (suck)

current setup

-cheap telescoping antenna that came with my ati 600 usb tuner ~1 meter coax to 4 way splitter (something i got from a cable installer once, the outputs are labeled -7db each; in upstairs southwest facing window; ~25ft up)

-20ft coax to vizio 32" 720p (get 2.1 / 5.1 / 8.1 / 11.1 / 14.1 / 46.1, and sub-channels)

-unknown distance (atleast 30ft) in wall coax to downstairs sony 42" 720p (5.1 / 8.1 / 11.1 / 17.1 / 46.1)

most channels are 18-20 snr and 60-80 signal strength

when they get 17 snr it starts getting blocky, and 16 snr it goes blank

i was looking @ the list (page one) and noticed a couple that would be in my price range, trying to get out the door for $50 or less if possible

i guess primarily, based on my location, do i need a better antenna or perhaps all i need is an amp to better the signal that i do receive (at least upstairs)? my goal is to get a hdhomerun and record / watch live tv from computer plugged into the tv's - so all of the signal will be upstairs, so i am hoping that i will get at least the same reception out of my upstairs tv, 6+ channels.

monoprice link $22.42 (similar to Philips MANT950 and Radio Shack DA-5200)

or

Philips SDV2750 $26 shipped from amazon

or

Terk HDTVi and HDTVa, amplified $30-40 @ amazon

or

something else!?

thanks for all your advice and help

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The 4-way splitter you are using is reducing your signal dramatically. -7.5 DB translates to reducing signal to 25% of what it originally was. First thing I would do is bypass the splitter for now and just run direct from the antenna to one TV.

Also you need a VHF/UHF combo antenna. Regular telecoping antenna is good for VHF (ch's 8.1 and 11.1), but the rest are UHF and you need a bowtie or similiar. Since you are only 15 miles away and your window faces southwest, this simple antenna from Radio Shack should work:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103077

Once you know what you can get to 1 TV. Hook the splitter back up and check to see if you still get your channels.. If you notice you lose some channels, you will need an amp to compensate for the splitter loss.

Also make sure you are using RG6 cable, not RG 59.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Your signals are strong, so you do not want an amplified antenna.
Quote:
i also have an old RCA similar to Basic Non-Amplified Rabbit Ears & Loop and it picks up about 3 channels upstairs and 0 downstairs (suck)

Dipole/loop antennas may look the same, but based on experience, I can tell you they do not perform the same. If you want to try a good dipole/loop, try the RS budget antenna, linked to numerous times in this thread. Return it if it doesn't work.

Another problem may be interference from other electrical/electronic/wireless devices, including TVs, monitors, computers, phones and routers. For indoor antennas, the antenna's location is often more important than what antenna you're using. If you have some extra coax, connect it to your existing dipole/loop antenna and try placing the antenna in various spots in the room. Your best spot will likely be near a south-facing wall or window. If you have stucco siding or foil insulation in the walls, good indoor reception is often difficult. There is no magic amp or special antenna to overcome this.

If the coax is hard wired to your antenna, add a longer length with a barrel splice.

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts
Please put your location in thread titles where it's vital to the information you're seeking. See my edit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@DrDon, sorry about that. i had thought about that after OP, but then since my location seemed unless as it was, what i would consider, basic antenna theory that i was not 100% sure i was going the right direction. either way.

@arxaw, the RCA i have is the following antenna

except it has coax out (rather than the 2 pins needing the adapter)

it is not amplified and sucks regardless of the dipole orientation, length or overall orientation of the antenna - in the same place as my single antenna (that came with my ati 600 usb tuner card)

perhaps its that the coax wired directly into the ATI antenna is higher quality (rg6 over rg59 perhaps?) the RCA wire is noticably thinner in diameter and much more flexible...

ill double check the single per channel with the RCA and then if there is no significant improvement, i might check-out the RS budget antenna. or would $10 additional investment in the monoprice antenna that includes a 20db antenna?

not sure about foil insulation, but its vinyl over wood construction (so, no stucco / metal mesh) and i have the antenna above the mesh in the window, so unless the double pane vinyl windows with fake vinyl muttons between the panes of glass. i do have cell phones (att) and 2.4ghz wifi (but those are constant, so i doubt their existence would equate to random intermittent signal loss). both tv's have computers attached to them, but neither have wifi.

i know i have a 2 channel splitter somewhere, ill see what its detrimental qualities it has on my signal. sadly, i vaguely remember another 2 way splitter in the wall downstairs, cant remember if i removed it or not. ill report back with signal quality levels for the RCA antenna.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The RS budget antenna would likely work better than your existing RCA. The monoprice antenna is UHF only and you have both UHF & VHF stations. It is also amplified - the last thing you need.

Any of the things you listed can interfere with OTA TV reception. Even a computer without wi-fi can emit RF that may interfere with reception. Get your antenna away from all the things you listed.

If you have vinyl siding, there's a very good chance you have foil backed insulation behind it. A good TV signal blocker.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freonchill
i know i have a 2 channel splitter somewhere, ill see what its detrimental qualities it has on my signal. sadly, i vaguely remember another 2 way splitter in the wall downstairs, cant remember if i removed it or not. ill report back with signal quality levels for the RCA antenna.
A 2 way splitter will cut your signal by -3.5db, or 50%. You should take all splitters out of the mix, and see what you can get to 1 TV direct from the antenna.

The antenna that came with the USB card I would not rely on, although you can get lucky and pick up some channels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so i tested my antenna's in a couple of places

like i said before, i have 3 types of antennas

1. single pole antenna, that came with the ati 600 usb; built-in 6ft cable

2. rca antenna; built-in 6ft cable

3. homemade (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie), 75/300 ohm adapter with F type connector (w/ & w/out foil behind)

BK. on top of a 6ft bookshelf in the bedroom to the south of my 2 story condo

it is on the opposite wall from the windows that face south

WN. infront of the window; top pane, no exterior bug mesh; approx 4.5ft

AT. in the attic

best location for each antenna

1-WN; best for all channels except PBS, NBC

2-AT; worst channel was PBS2 (kids)

3-AT w/foil; except no PBS; w/out foil - PBS was iffy

the antennas were connected via 25ft RG6 cable and barrel splice (except for homemade, as is using 75/300 ohm adapter that has female F type connector

to my vizio veco320; basing it off 2 variables under channel information

SNR & SIGNAL

if SNR was
if SIGNAL STRENGTH was

i will get the RS budget and see if i get any better signals from it...

my attic is a double gable, and i have the RCA about 2ft from the highest point. the homemade antenna is sitting on the floor between 2 members of the rafter. would moving it higher (+2 to 3 ft) to the middle of the gable help any? (i ask before testing it as i would have to mount it to test, and i would need to borrow some tools.)

my other question is, do they make a splitter that wont degrade the signal as much as the one i have?

i have ordered a HDhomerun (dual tuner) that needs 2 connections. i also have the ATI 600 usb, that will have a connection also. so i will need at least 3, maybe 4 connections from the one antenna.

i was looking @ this splitter, but like we discussed before, will it reduce my signal too much. would it be better if i got a splitter with amp? any preferences?

thanks for your help and further advice

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freonchill /forum/post/19638039

ok, so i tested my antenna's in a couple of places

like i said before, i have 3 types of antennas

1. single pole antenna, that came with the ati 600 usb; built-in 6ft cable

2. rca antenna; built-in 6ft cable

3. homemade (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie), 75/300 ohm adapter with F type connector (w/ & w/out foil behind)

BK. on top of a 6ft bookshelf in the bedroom to the south of my 2 story condo

it is on the opposite wall from the windows that face south

WN. infront of the window; top pane, no exterior bug mesh; approx 4.5ft

AT. in the attic

best location for each antenna

1-WN; best for all channels except PBS, NBC

2-AT; worst channel was PBS2 (kids)

3-AT w/foil; except no PBS; w/out foil - PBS was iffy

the antennas were connected via 25ft RG6 cable and barrel splice (except for homemade, as is using 75/300 ohm adapter that has female F type connector

to my vizio veco320; basing it off 2 variables under channel information

SNR & SIGNAL

if SNR was
if SIGNAL STRENGTH was

i will get the RS budget and see if i get any better signals from it...

my attic is a double gable, and i have the RCA about 2ft from the highest point. the homemade antenna is sitting on the floor between 2 members of the rafter. would moving it higher (+2 to 3 ft) to the middle of the gable help any? (i ask before testing it as i would have to mount it to test, and i would need to borrow some tools.)

my other question is, do they make a splitter that wont degrade the signal as much as the one i have?

i have ordered a HDhomerun (dual tuner) that needs 2 connections. i also have the ATI 600 usb, that will have a connection also. so i will need at least 3, maybe 4 connections from the one antenna.

i was looking @ this splitter, but like we discussed before, will it reduce my signal too much. would it be better if i got a splitter with amp? any preferences?

thanks for your help and further advice

Any splitter you use will result in loss of signal. Whether you need an amp or not depends on how strong the signal originally is at the antenna.

If you have an outdoor antenna, you will increase your signal strength, thus possibly eliminating the need for an amp.

From your test results. the window yields better results than the attic. So obviously I would try and concentrate on maybe raising the antenna a litte higher, possibly mounting something outside.

Which PBS station are you trying to get, 8.1 or 30.1? 8.1 would be tougher to get since its VHF.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freonchill /forum/post/19638039

I have (2) HDHR tuners, one from last year, another just received a few days ago.

The HDHR's are real picky about having a substantial antenna to feed them.

My outdoor antenna is damaged needing replacement and they are pretty much useless via rabbit ears and the like.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297160

PS: There is a pretty small, unobtrusive channel 7-69 antenna mentioned in the above thread for $38.46 shipped via Amazon that should run circles around the indoor antenna's you're using. With it you'd have the option of mounting it outside, or in the attic as it's made for outdoor usage. Regarding attic mounting, from what I've read you want to keep the antenna several feet back from roof surface, and adjoining members, etc. Some people "suspend" (hang) the antenna from the rafters.

Oh- almost forgot- the above antenna comes with the J-Mount- You can attach it to the floor, or attach it to a upper rafter and "hang' the antenna.

Another thing, the above antenna due to it's small size cannot be denied a install from your Homeowners Association.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/19639242

If you have an outdoor antenna, you will increase your signal strength, thus possibly eliminating the need for an amp.

From your test results. the window yields better results than the attic. So obviously I would try and concentrate on maybe raising the antenna a litte higher, possibly mounting something outside.

Which PBS station are you trying to get, 8.1 or 30.1? 8.1 would be tougher to get since its VHF.

i dont have an outdoor antenna and i dont plan on getting one

i was debating if what i had would be better than indoor placement of the monoprice antenna, or perhaps one the terk variants...

from my test results, for the single pole antenna in the window, i got best results for all channels except PBS, NBC, which i go no signal what so ever 0,0...

the RCA in the attic was best overall, where its worst channel was PBS2 (8.2) at 19/83 the only channel where the SNR was

the homemade antenna (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie) never gave me PBS consistently. typically, PBS would be 16-18 SNR and 80 max. regardless of where i had it in the attic - in the middle of the attic, or closer to either firewall (the neighbors). but like i said in the previous post, i was wondering if raising it 2-3ft would actually give that much noticeable increase, or would it just be 1-2 SNR...

as for PBS, i get 8.1, i dont know why i dont get 30.1 as they are the same distance away... but 30 only shows up as analog in a channel search (and that channel has no single) until i looked at the chart again (antennaweb / tvfool) i didnt even know that 8.1 was PBS out of UGA rather than ATL...

if you all think raising the coat hanger antenna 2-3ft will have a significant increase, then i will test it and the RCA as high as i can in the gable of the attic.

i probably will also go get the RS budget to test it out in the attic too

i just wonder if my current values will degrade with a 4 way splitter to the point that i will need an amp on it. is there a foreseeable degradation

e.g. if my worst channel is 19/83, will reducing it 8dB (4 way splitter spec) will that mean that my signal will then be 75? if so, then i definitely will need a amp... at which case, would it be better to get a separate amp and amplify the signal prior to going into a generic 4 way splitter OR are integrated amp/splitters better? are there any brand / model recommendations

full channel signal counts are as follows

(rca antenna, built-in 6ft F connector; 25ft RG6 cable; vizio VECO320 tv)
Code:
Code:
channel | SNR / SIGNAL
2.1   23/ 84
2.2   24/ 84
5.1   25/ 84
8.1   21/ 83
8.2   19/ 83
8.3   20/ 93
11.1  27/100
11.2  28/100
11.3  28/100
14.1  24/ 82
14.2  24/ 82
14.3  25/ 82
17.1  24/100
36.1  22/ 81
36.2  23/ 82
46.1  23/ 83
49.1  20/ 81
i have a cable 4 way splitter currently (it was a time warner cable device i took when i moved out of my parents house)

it is label'd -7dB (i would link it would be 7dB loss, rather than -7dB)

ill report back tomorrow how much signal loss there is when i put it in the chain and see if you all can help me do the math....

edit: WeAreNotAlone69, the RCA ANT751 looks attractive

from the looks of it, it appears that RCA is just branding a standard design, searching that model # brings up 3-4 brands....

whats your best / worst channel SNR, signal values? (straight source or spliter)?

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freonchill /forum/post/19644517

i dont have an outdoor antenna and i dont plan on getting one

i was debating if what i had would be better than indoor placement of the monoprice antenna, or perhaps one the terk variants...

~Snip~

edit: WeAreNotAlone69, the RCA ANT751 looks attractive

whats your best / worst channel SNR, signal values? (straight source or spliter)?

RE: i dont have an outdoor antenna and i dont plan on getting one.

The HDHR unit's tuners will require a well thought out antenna setup. I've got a terk, the RCA rabbit ears in one of your pics and I can tell you the HDHR's aren't going to be "happy" unless they are getting a strong signal. Outdoor, or attic mounting will keep your recordings getting screwed up by someone walking next to the antenna... Additionally such keeps the signal from being corrupted by electronic devices in the vicinity.

You may luck out- but the HDHR tuners are known for being "picky" about what kind of antenna setup they are hooked up to. BTW Do not use splitters for satellite... the HDHR's don't like them. Additionally keep HDHRs away from cordless phones, wireless routers, etc...

Looking at your TVFool, and comparing it to mine I'd say for the *majority of stations you're attempting to get something like the ANT751 is a no-brainer as you fall within the range the antenna is rated for. It takes up less than 1 meter of space- can be attic , roof, wall mounted and comes with the mount for $38.46 shipped.

*Some stations may require a rotor as the ANT751 is directional.

Regarding the best / worst channel SNR, signal values with the ANT751 and the HDHR's- if you read thru the thread I linked to (read the last post- just from a hour or so ago) you will see I cannot provide this info. I currently have one in my "cart" at Amazon.com debating to go with it, or another unit as I have a existing 12ft (damaged) outdoor antenna and I am debating between several units because I CAN go with a outdoor unit, OR mount within the attic. Add to that I have a VHF Low channel (6) which complicates things. Your lowest channel is 8 so it should work with a 7-69 antenna.

Here is some info on the ANT751:

The RCA-ANT751 is manufactured by WineGard, and sold thru Audiovox -Listed as having a 1-year warranty on Amazon site. Competing units have 90-day warranty.
ez_hd_tv_Antenna variant/close clone

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-...1-how-vhf.html

OTA Antenna Head-to-Head: RCA ANT751 vs Winegard HD7694P
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1295982

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

As you will see for those with limited space, either it be a install in which the antenna must be below a certain size for HomeOwner's Assoc. /Apartment/Landlord - or 'wife' Approval - OR for those desiring to attic mount the antenna the ANT751 is well liked. Is it the best antenna in the world for your app? Don't know but I'd bet it's better than a indoor antenna.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freonchill /forum/post/19599956

i live in a condo/townhouse. and i know the fcc allows me to have external antenna if i need it, but i dont want to deal with the hassle of talking to the home owners association.
Q: Shouldn't the condo/townhouse be pre-wired for cable? There should be a patch panel that you could hook up a attic or outdoor antenna to and have the SAME reception at all outlets. I would think it would be rare for a condo/townhouse not to be prewired.

Quote:
i have a friends homemade antenna (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie), but i couldnt get a solid signal from it... i tried it in the same place where my current antenna is and in my attic, but i couldnt even get signal there (guessing something to do with the 50ft coax cable and the asphalt shingles). i need to try putting some tin-foil on cardboard and putting that behind it, see if it makes it any better...

A traditional roof consists of Attic trusses /rafters,(support) over which plywood, or in older houses 1x6 wood planks are placed (roof decking). Over that goes 15 or 30 lb roof felt, then asphalt shingles. A properly placed antenna within the attic will "see' right thru such.

Quote:
i do have a couple of pine trees outside my window, and there another row of townhomes about 150ft south that are 1 story higher than my own. ironically, my single downstairs seems to "pause" and block for 1-2 seconds when a car drives by on the NORTH side of my townhouse!? i have never been able to figure that one out, unless there there reflection of signal off the car/vehicle as it drives by that causes the signal to go weird on a channel directly south from me (with the car on the north)

Trees right outside your window- wind, moving leaves.... Townhomes 1 story higher close by, bad signal on lower floor.... Are you allowed to mount a antenna on the roof? Does the condo have a antenna you can tie into? Do you have a balcony that faces towards stations you most desire to receive?

Quote:
not sure about foil insulation, but its vinyl over wood construction (so, no stucco / metal mesh)

When was the condo/townhouse built? As a suggestion ask the building maintenance guys - they should know if foil is behind that vinyl. Either that or walk around and look- there's bound to be some loose sections you could get a peek at.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 /forum/post/19644239

... the above antenna [ANT751] due to it's small size cannot be denied a install from your Homeowners Association...

On your own non-common property, HOAs cannot regulate OTA antennas by size. The can regulate satellite dish antennas larger than 1 meter.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Quote:

the homemade antenna (Coat Hanger Quad Bow Tie) never gave me PBS consistently.

That's because you are trying to pick up 8.1 VHF with a UHF bowtie.

You will have better luck using the RCA since its VHF/UHF combo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i put the splitter at the end of the 25' RG6 and put the 1' RG6 cable into my tv to test the reduction of the splitter.

Quote:

Code:
Code:
channel | SNR / SIGNAL | (NEW DATA - SNR / SIGNAL with 4 way splitter)
2.1   23/ 84     |    17/ 78
2.2   24/ 84     |    17/ 78
5.1   25/ 84     |    22/ 83
8.1   21/ 83     |    20/ 82
8.2   19/ 83     |    19/ 82
8.3   20/ 93     |    19/ 82
11.1  27/100     |    28/100
11.2  28/100     |    29/100
11.3  28/100     |    28/100
14.1  24/ 82     |    20/ 80
14.2  24/ 82     |    20/ 80
14.3  25/ 82     |    20/ 80
17.1  24/100     |    23/ 95
36.1  22/ 81     |    21/ 80
36.2  23/ 82     |    22/ 81
46.1  23/ 83     |    22/ 83
49.1  20/ 81     |    19/ 80

so, what is the correlation between the SNR & signal strength? if there is any

SNR is obviously dB, but signal strength appears to mostly correlate but is based on a 100% scale, where

does not having anything in the other ports matter, or will it further reduce the signal when i add the other 3-4 devices i have?

i got my HDhomerun in the mail today, but didnt get a change to set it up tonight... maybe tomorrow night

still considering the RCA ANT751, but just wondering if it will give me enough additional signal prior the the splitter verses an amplifier (e.g. either way it looks like i will be spending $30-40) i just dont want to get the antenna, then after using a splitter, still to not have enough signal, requiring the purchase of an amp, therefore costing $60+.

speaking of an amp/splitter. mine is 5mhz to 1000mhz, so based on channel frequencies (2-69) that splitter should work fine and i would get no better performance from getting one that is rated 5mhz to 2000mhz, right?

just a follow-up on all the discussion of external antennas

1. as i said in the OP, i do live in a townhouse, i know i can mount and the homeowners association cannot discriminate against me. but neither do i want to mount externally, nor deal with any of that. i want to have it inside of the attic

2. the townhouses were built in the 1980's. there is vinyl on the back (south) and brick on the front (north). i am orienting out the south. currently in the attic about 4-5ft off the attic ceiling. the roof is made of plywood, felt, asphalt shingles. the only concern is the air ducts (ducts with batt insulation wraps with foil outer), but there are none in the final two SE bays, where i have the antenna currently located.

3. what is the highest SNR that you can obtain from an OTA antenna (i tried to google / wikipedia it, but i couldnt find any concrete answers. my best in testing was 28. but ive gotten 100% signal strength with a lowly 19 SNR

4. @mikepier, i understand. i knew that already, but found odd that it picked it up at all with the home made UHF antenna. and not at all surprised that i lost it when i put the foil on the backside (the direction of that channel's tower) and completely lost it again.

5. @WeAreNotAlone69 - prewired for cable... yes and no. yes, the rooms are wired. no, its not done right. no, its not in the places/rooms i need. it was originally wired for satellite from the roof, to a junction box on the north facade, first floor. then everything went again through the house using 2 way splitters. there is no way to connect the rooms to the attic or to each other. to get from the attic to any room in the house, i would have to run new wiring. i pulled a wire through an existing hole used for the alarm wiring in the closet where i am testing the signal. i am hoping to put all of the hardware in that bedroom and then distribute the signal via MCE (pre-recorded / live) over CAT5e or wifi-N and not have to re-wire the entire house for RG6... as i rent, not own.

again, i would like to thank everyone for their input and advice.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Signal meters with percentages are generally useless for measuring actual signal power. The percentage is a consumer-friendly scale that is intended to assist in antenna pointing and is generally based on a proprietary algorithm involving signal quality (error rate) more so than raw signal power.

SNR is the ratio of signal power to the power of the background noise. ATSC specification calls for 15.2 dB as the minimum SNR for reception. In practice , a few dB of "headroom" will help in signal stability. Above that margin, excess SNR is superfluous. Using my handheld spectrum analyzer, I can see and measure the SNR of very strong signals of 60 dB (or more, if I'm close to the towers of a million watt station). The meter, however, doesn't bother trying to measure SNR values above 36 dB.

If you were to measure signal power before and after the splitter using a meter such as my Sencore, you would be able to measure the insertion loss of the splitter subject to the uncertainties of using a "live" signal as an input. For a decent 4-way splitter, I'd expect to see between 7 and 8 dB of insertion loss.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ProjectSHO89

thanks...

so based on my before splitter and after splitter numbers...

SNR drop from 0-4

Signal drop from 0-6

do i need an amp?

(e.g. should i have SNR values closer to 28 rather than 20?)

( or signal values closer to 100 rather than low 80's)

will my values decrease when i add other devices to the other splitter connects?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The signal decreases just by adding the splitter.

Unused taps should be terminated with a 75 ohm termination. But ideally, you should have no more splits than the number of devices you want to connect to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19651434

The signal decreases just by adding the splitter.

Unused taps should be terminated with a 75 ohm termination. But ideally, you should have no more splits than the number of devices you want to connect to it.

i will have the 2 tuners from the HDhomerun

1 tuner from ati 600 usb

1 tuner on my vizio tv

so all 4 will be used. i will have one of the 3 tuners (hdhomerun / ati) being used through MCE for my tv downstairs. the other 2 will be used to record. (or all 3 if i am not watching live tv)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts