AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard a better AVR for music than the rotel 1055. I have heard the Rotel vs the Denon 3803 (for music, not HT) and the Rotel bested it by a significant margin. I think I am going to get the Rotel, but wanted opinions from people who have heard the Rotel and decided to choose a different brand.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I heard the Rotel 1055 and found it lacking in bass. Bass was not punchy or forceful. Money for nothing by Dire Straits sounded like crap with my Boston Acoustics speakers onthe Rotel. I have heard from people that vocals sound very good with the Rotel, but since this was not the material I tested the Rotel on, I cannot comment.

On the other hand the Pioneer Elite 45TX sounded incredible. You may want to audition both before you decide.

The Pioneer is, however, not suitable with lower impedance speakers (4ohm and lower).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I own the 1055 (not lacking bass for me) and I have often seen posts telling people to also give the Marantz and NAD receivers an audition when you are looking at receivers for music. I don't recall which Marantz (I want to say 7300, but I'm not sure if that's right) they compared them against, but with the NAD it tended to be the 752, 762 receivers.

As with everything, your room and speakers will play a big role in which sounds better to you. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My final two were the 1055 and the HK 8000. In my opionio, both sounded great. I thought the 1055 was a little better for HT and the 8000 for music (going in I expected the exact opposite, funny what happens when you actually audition stuff together). I chose the HK over the Rotel for two reasons - the HK had more features - greater number of inputs, including front inputs; higher wattage; and about a $200 price advantage.

They both are great receivers, so pick the one that sounds best to you. The hard part will be finding the store that carries both side by side to compare against.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"The hard part will be finding the store that carries both side by side to compare against."

Yeah, that would be tough. What do people do in these situations? You can't really listen to one, then drive across town to listen to the other, b/c obviously the room acoustics would be different in the two locations, not to mention the speakers.

But from my short time reading posts around here, Rotel, NAD, and Marantz are the three that are most often cited for musicality. I really like what I've seen and heard from Rotel, but it's not in my budget right now. Haven't had the opportunity to check out the others extensively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.