AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a new HT/music setup. I'm having a real dilemma choosing between a 1066/1095, 1066/1075 or just RSX-1065 setup. I realize the price and build differences, but I'm not sure I can stomach the cash that would be outlayed for the 1095.

Here's the other inflluencing factor (besides the wife), the speaker setup. Right now I'm leaning towards a B&W CDM-9NT, SNT, CNT, CDM ASW combo. I could also downgrade to 7NTs to offset the costs of a more powerful amp (1095).

What should I do, what combo would you guys pick? Should I just spring for the 9NT and 1066/1095 setup and bypass Christmas gifts for the inlaws:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Who cares about the inlaws? This is HT we're talking about.

Seriously, if it was me, I'd go for the gusto and take the speakers you want and get the 1066/1095 combo. This is just me personally, but I never want to be in a situation again where I buy something when my heart really wanted something else. I also look at it this way. Amps can last for many a year and I just feel more comfortable with power in reserve. When I bought my Parasound 1205A, I knew my highly efficient Klipsch speakers would never come near utilizing all of its power, but also know that, one day, I could well get other speakers that needed more reserve power wise. Sure enough, I ended up with ACI speakers, which are rated at a sensitivity far below the Klipsch and I'm now very happy that I bought an amp with enough power to drive most other speakers I might buy in the future.

With regard to the B&W speakers, it sounds to me like you want the 9NT's more than the others, so, as speakers have such a big impact on sound, get them if you can afford them.

Why don't you come over to Club Rotel and post this question there. Not all will agree with me, but a good discussion on your situation can't hurt. Besides, quite a few of them own the B&W speakers and I don't. If you end up buying Rotel, you'll want to visit anyway as the posters there are friendly, supportive, helpful, and knowledgable. Here's the link: Club Rotel

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have a 1065 that I got a great deal on. Even with the great deal, I wish I would have spent a little more on separates. I use the 1065 with a 2 channel for the fronts and a smaller 2 channel for the center backs. I should have just bought a 5 channel and a pre pro. But I like the 1065 a lot too.

E. J.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Danbry,

Thanks for the response. True I kind of want the 9NTs, but can get a better deal with the 7s. I'd really like to swing for the 1095, but again the costs escalate soooo rapidly. Unlike others here, I just don't upgrade equipment that often.

I was going to post at Club Rotel but was too lazy to register in another forum!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey, ain't nobody more lazy than I. About the options you've set up for yourself, they're all great. Of course, I have a Rotel bias, but it's based on my joy of the sound produced. As ejfiii said, the 1065 is no slouch. Actually, it's a wonderful unit. If it's a choice between the 7's vs. 9's for speakers or the 1075 vs. the 1095, I'd go with the 1066/1075/B&W 9's. Two reasons: The 1095 will add less than 3 decibels to your system and speakers have more influence on the end sound. Besides, if you want to change down the line, the amp will be less costly to replace.

I'm still hoping you come on over to Club Rotel.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes come to the club...join the Rotel cult...er uh.. club I mean.

All joking aside, I've got to go with Danbry here. (As much as I hate to agree with people on a forum. I mean how can you get a colourful argument going that way?) The speakers will have a greater impact on the sound and the amp will be cheaper to upgrade in the future. Not to mention if you ever get into 7.1 you can buy one of Rotel's whopper 2-channel amps to power those 9NT's :p droool.... Also as stated none of them are bad options. Rotel makes nice stuff from top to bottom so whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll be happy with. But if we're talking what you really want.... why not save up for the new 1098 AND the 1095 amp! Just kidding....that'd be a few years with no gifts for the in-laws...lol

J.R.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same dilemma here... well actually I'm choosing between the 1080 and the 1090 amp of my HT. It will have 803 fronts, HTM2 center and 600 as surrounds (he he ran out of dough).

In anycase, I've decided to power my surrounds with a 1055 (which I will also use as a pre/pro). Getting the 1066 will require me to spend some more on an amp to get 6.1 and since my surrounds are 600's I do not think I'd need the extra power to make them sing. Now my fronts... the 1090 is twice as expensive as the 1080 and I really do not know if the difference is worth that much.

BTW - the 700 series will replace the CDM I heard

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input, but I'm really agonizing over this decision. I just don't upgrade equipment over time. I like to buy stuff I'm happy with and use it 'till its dead. It's also not too much about costs, but it is...We've got the money to do pretty much what we want, but I'm at my personal price point envelope. We've got other projects to do too (new fence, landscaping etc.) and can't always justify a $2000 amp or $3500 processor (1098) in the house when the fence needs mending.

One side says go for the gusto, and the other says be happy with a 1065 or T762.

Regarding the new B&W 700 series, they appear to be identical to the CDM line except cabinetry changes (i.e. rounder top side). Anyone know anything different?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Trashcan, just get the 1065, you will be very happy with it. If you're going with a 7.1 setup, then use the savings to get the small two channel for the center back speakers. Then spend the most money on the speakers.

E. J.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Only thing is with the 1065 is that you're only a few hundred off the price of the 1066/1075. Seperates with more power and there own transformers makes a difference... I'm not saying the 1065 is bad by any means but for a few hundred wouldn't you want the seperates? Or at the very least the 1055 and 1075? Which you could use to bi-wire those B&W's! Maybe that's what you should do! :)

J.R.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I got my 1065 for $1600, close to the same price of the 1066. So for me, I would have had to spend at least $1k more for the amp. So it was not that close for me. At list price of the 1065, it may make more sense though.

E. J.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Aaaah yes but your comparing the list prices of the amp and 1066 with the discounted price. The difference wouldn't be as great as that.

J.R.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1065 $1999 for 5 x 100 w

1055 + RMB 1075 $2298 for 5 X 125 + 5 x 75 reassignable for rears in 7.1

$300 for more power, and more channels?

1065 is great but becuse of the low volume the price value ratio just is not there.

1055 is very close to 1066 in terms of sound and processing but is actually $200 cheaper, has a tuner and 5 x 75 watts that you can assign to surrounds or rears etc.

I wish I had your dilemma LOL

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
J.R. I have no idea what the street price of a 1066 is, and my $1600 deal on the 1065 was sweetheart deal, I am not sure anyone else could get it that low. Normal street price is about $1800 or so.

What's the 1066 normally sell for?

E. J.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hell Jamie at those prices its a no brainer. My deal on the 1065 wouldn't have carried over to the separates though, so my difference was greater.

E. J.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Rotel products usually go for about 10% off msrp.

Jamie's suggestion really makes a lot of sense. It would be a wonderful pairing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hell ejfiii you got one sweet deal on the 1065. It would be hard to say no for that price. But as you can see by Jamie's pricing the 1055 and 1075 is a pretty damn good deal. You loose a bit of the 1066's sonics but you gain extra power, extra channels and a tuner. I'm still debating that one as well.

1066 vs. 1055.

J.R.

·
Registered
553 Posts
IMO get the 1055,If you find you need more power you can add as needed.This nets you $200,a tuner,and 5 good amps.IMO there will be no sonic difference between the 1055 and the 1066 used as a preamp..Good luck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If I knew then what I know now, I would have done one of two things. One would be to buy a used Lex. MC-1 updated to current specs and a few amps. Second choice would have been the 1055/amp route. That way I could have had 7 channels plus zone two. But I am happy with the 1065 - I probably don't need to use my 250 watt two channel for the fronts, but I do anyway.

E. J.

PS - the reason I got the good deal on the 1065 - I went in to buy a 1055 and they were out of stock. So instead of waiting a week, they gave me the 1065 for $1600.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Trashcan, just get the 1065, you will be very happy with it. If you're going with a 7.1 setup, then use the savings to get the small two channel for the center back speakers. Then spend the most money on the speakers.
I was thinking that, but frankly my room won't support speaker placement for another couple of channels. IF I did manage to do so, I'd use my existing Sony STR AV770 for the second amp. That would be a simple solution.

Quote:
Or at the very least the 1055 and 1075? Which you could use to bi-wire those B&W's! Maybe that's what you should do!
Don't you mean bi-amp in this case, or am I out to lunch again:D

You all have valid points and I appreciate your time and thoughts.

What about just getting an NAD T762 vs. the RSX 1065? (I know this will probably stir the bees nest).

Excuse me while my three year old puts in his thoughts.....

j nhjjh

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.