AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered this? I like the additional functionality of the Denon, and I have heard that the decoding is top notch. I am wondering if the Denon would sound equal, better, or worse than the Rotel 1066 with movies and music and use a Rotel 1075 amp.

I guess another question would be, if the Denon was preferred, how about the Rotel amp with it. Will it make a big sound improvement?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got back from the AV store, and the salesman sort of talked me into the higher-end Rotel 1095 amp. This is 200 Watts per channel verses 120. The way I see it, I want something with power to spare for today and the future.

So, in addition to my above question, would a Denon 3803 with the Rotel 1095 sound better than a Denon 5803 (features aside)?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sound better? That's subjective. I will only say that I purchased the 3803 with the express purpose of adding an external amp to it later. I didn't have the money to spend on the 5803 or the 3803 + an amp when I purchased it. For that reason, I didn't even audition the 5803.

I really like the idea of doing it the way I am doing it. I get most of the best features of the 5803. I spend less up front. The path to seperates is much easier going the 3803 + an amp route.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello Thorr:

The Rotel is a good choice. It is an amazing preamp. The sound is fanominal. The Rotel is software upgradeable while the Denon is not. On the other hand the Denon has more inputs. The Denon is an excellent receiver, and the sound is really good. There are alot of people who have bought the Rotel and had a Denon receiver, never went back to receivers. The Rotel amp attached to the Denon receiver will make a difference. Rotel amps are really known for their power. An even better combo would be the Denon and the Rotel RMB-1095. With a 200 watt amp the sound will sound cleaner and fuller. The amp does not have to work as hard to produce loud volumes. No matter what set up you go with, they are all amazing and you shouldn't be disappointed with your purchase.

Good-luck

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
119 Posts
check out this review of the rotel 1066/1075 combo. i've compared both in 2-channel audio. the rotel is clearly superior in sound quality. the imaging is superb and sound staging is huge. you also might want to try the 1055/1075 combo it is cheaper and gives you 5 more channels so that you can take advantage of 7.1. the sound is basically identical to the 1066/1075 combo.

http://www.rotel.com/introduction/pd...0Supertest.pdf

trent

·
Registered
126 Posts
Definitely the Rotel. Think of it this way: The Rotel preamp is made specifically for that purpose, while the receiver is made to do a lot of other things in addition. Plus, if music's important to you, you might want to do a quick search through posts at this site to see that almost everyone seems to think that Rotel's offerings sound better than Denon's.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the responses so far. I am still thoroughly up in the air with which way to go. I did however decide to go with the bigger amp (the Rotel 1095), so that part is done.

The main factors for me are sound quality, and a few features. I really don't care about the video portion that much.

-I would like to have an audio delay function to syncronize picture and sound (Denon only, or supposedly the upcoming Rotel 1098 which is quite expensive).

- The number of digital inputs concerns me a bit with both the Denon and the Rotel (also fixed by the upcoming 1098).

- The Denon 3803 is supposed to be much better than the 3802 in the preamp section. This is why I am asking whether it is better than the older Rotel 1066.

- I have heard the 1066 has bass management problems. I am not sure if this affects me or not.

Jamey F- That is exactly what I was thinking

Golden-Eagle- Fanominal sound is what I am looking for. I agree about the 200 Watt amp. I am still up in the air between the 3803 or the 1066, or possibly the super honkin' 1098 with the screen that I don't necessarily want, but would be cool. ;)

trentr- Thanks!!! I value your opinion, and I will also check out the 1055. I read that review, but haven't found others like it.

Gai Pan- In theory, you are absolutely correct. However, the Denon is newer, and perhaps has surpassed the Rotel in this latest generation. I will search some more, but I haven't found too many (or any) cases where a Rotel amp was used with a Denon, then the Denon was replaced with a Rotel Pre/Pro and it sounded better. I am trying to determine if the Rotel is superior because of the Pre/Pro AND the amp, or just the amp OR Pre/Pro.

More opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
The delay features of the 3803 are important. I can't believe the difference in the imaging of my Paradigm Studio 100's when listening to music. I sit just left of cent of my speakers. If I set both speakers to 16' away from me, I hear a slightly diffused sound with the voice coming from the left speaker mostly. This gives the impression my room is larger than it is. I thought this was a good thing to begin with.

Once I chose 15' for the left speaker and 16' for the right speaker, immediately voices came more from the center. Just for kicks and because it's available on the 3803, I chose to set speaker distances by meters instead of feet. I chose to lessen the distance one tenth of one meter from 15' and BAMM! I thought I turned on my center channel. I DID get up and check....TWICE. It wasn't the center channel. Voices are dead center of the speakers now. Of course if I sit in the seat just right of center, it is dispersed again with voice coming mainly from the right speaker.

It's amazing what a good system can reveal, and how much I was lacking before my upgrades to the 3803 and Paradigm studio speakers. I'm sure there are other brands of receivers and speakers that will amaze similarly, but I wouldn't do without the delay feature for all speakers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, definitely sound is subjective. I just think it makes sense to put a dedicated preamp with and amp from the same company ... plus, in the only related audition I've done (3803 vs. a Rotel *receiver*), it was Rotel hands down for music, so I'm *assuming* the Rotel separates could only be better. Plus they look bad a$$ together, IMO.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the 1066 with the RMB1075. There's no law that says you have to go with a Rotel amp. It looks nice in the rack, however. It's the preamp that does most of the work and has the most effect on sound.

I purchased the 1075 more than a year fearing that I wouldn't have enough power. Hah. Believe me, 120 wattts per channel is plenty. Save some money on the amp, put it toward the preamp. You can always upgrade the amp in the future. If you go with a Rotel amp, even better. Their resale value is first-rate.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, at the moment I am leaning towards the Rotel 1066/1075 combo again, but still considering the larger amp. I think I have ruled out the higher-end preamp because it is way too expensive. The salesman said the higher-end 200W amp would provide better dynamics even at the same listening level as the 120W lower-end amp. Is this true? Obviously I don't need the 200 Watts to turn it up that loud, I just want the best sound out of the amp. The way I see it, I can buy the amp once and upgrade the preamp as better ones come along.

Also, the Signal to noise ratio is fairly low on the 1066, especially with DTS for example (92 dB). My Millenium DTS preamp has a 110 dB S/N ratio and sounds superb. This makes me think I might be downgrading when it comes to DTS. The search for the perfect solution seems impossible.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
thorr, 100 wpc is enough for most setup unless u'll upgrade your speakers to maggies, martin logans, or some real low impedance cone speakers (read expensive!)...then u want around 200wpc. also, do u notice that most of HT speakers nowadays are designed (higher efficiency and easier to drive impedance) not to tax too much powers from the amps?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What speakers are you doing to drive with the amp? At 'normal' levels you will probably use 10 watts max. Unless you have very inefficient speakers, there is no need to buy a 200w amp.

When I was looking at buying a new preamp, my Rotel salesperson told me 'preamps all sound the same...amps are what make the biggest difference.' IMHO, he has it completely backward. Maybe there is more markup on the amps..?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, but if speakers will take up to 200W (looking at some Klipsch speakers), is it better to drive them at 200W or 120W, or does it not even matter?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
Registered
503 Posts
thorr,

I've had both the 1066 and 3803 in my system. There really is not contest as far as sound quality. The 1066 is so much cleaner and musical.

This is of course MHO, but if sound quality is what you want I'd suggest staying away from all but the flagship receivers. But then again if a pre doesn't have the features you want...:confused:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
How many watts a speaker can handle has nothing to do with how many you need. Klipsch speakers are so efficient that you definetely do not need 200 watts.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I have had great success using an AVR-3801 and later an Onkyo TX-DS989 receiver as a pre-pro. I used the pre-outs for the front 3 speakers to a big EAD PM2000 amp , but let the receiver power my 4 surrounds. ... really great price/performance this way.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the advice everyone.

After more extensive research, I have stumbled across the Anthem AVM-20 version 2(.09). This product seems *perfect* for my requirements. It seems to have all the great features of the Denon 5803 that I would like to have such as global audio delay for lip-sync, THX Ultra2, tons of digital inputs, etc. Also, people say that it has great sound quality; I hope it is on par or better than the Rotel RSP-1066.

The coolest feature of the Anthem is the upgradability.

My current plan is to match this with the Rotel 1075 amp. I only run a 5.1 setup, so this should be sufficient.

The Anthem costs quite a bit more than the Rotel 1066, but because of the limited functionality, I was considering the 1098. I just didn't want to spend that much for a TFT display that I didn't really want or need. For about $200 more I can have the Anthem with much more functionality for the money.

Does this seem like a good solution?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
thorr..

No fair, you can't compare Anthem av20 to a Rotel 1066, they are not in the same league. Like comparing a Lexcon MC1 to a Sony receiver. Go listen to a B&K ref 50, and directly compare to the Rotel 1066, the B&K will blow you away as will the Anthem. But as I said, you can't compare them.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that makes me feel better about the Anthem choice. I am considering the Rotel 1098 instead of the 1066 for the additional inputs and possibly the global audio delay function. It just seems like a LOT more money for not a whole lot more. In the case of the Rotel 1098 ($2999) verses the Anthem ($3200) I think it is fair to compare them. The money is spent in different areas (TFT display verses all the great audio features of the Anthem).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.