Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone auditioned this yet?

Supposedly they are starting to show up at dealers.

This seems like a bit of a gamble for Rotel since I think of their analog amps as good quality but also attractively priced.

At ~$2500 for a 7x100 channel and their first digital amp offering this unit really needs to shine performance wise else it will be relegated to a small customer subset: those who don't have much space or have trouble with ventilation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt,

Had actually seen that posting, but was looking for more who had heard the amp since the HT guide posting was big time positive (i.e. looking for some grains of salt..)

I figured someone else must have heard them by now...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I received my 1077 three days ago and it's had a few hours to burn in so now I can do some reporting. The 1077 sounds much bigger than it's physical size (of course) but even more than it's power ratings would lead you to believe. This tiny powerplant replaced a 200 wpc RB 1080for fronts and 130 wpc RMB 1075 for everything else and sounds stronger than either. The voicing of this amp is just about perfect with my speakers (Klipsch Reference 7 series), midrange is well detailed and low end is very strong. It's super quiet, very linear (doesn't loose it when turned down). Soundstage is slightly forward, but very wide. While I have't heard the Nuforce 8s myself, from other peoples discriptions I believe the 1077 has a very similar sound.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's rumoured that this Rotel is based on ICEpower.

Funny. about 8 months ago... "Oooh, Class-D, that's for subwoofers, ain't high-end, no real amplifier" comments were all I got when I told people I used them with B&W Nautilus speakers.

Now that Stereophile raved about CIaudio and finally, a big name like Rotel goes Icepower... "It's a new era!!"

Oh well :D I did my fighting for the "dark side" :eek:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
early home impressions here
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=15741

Yves,
Quote:
Funny. about 8 months ago... "Oooh, Class-D, that's for subwoofers, ain't high-end, no real amplifier" comments were all I got when I told people I used them with B&W Nautilus speakers.
some recent threads here are still saying that I think i saw one last week.

the 1077 is ICEPower (says so on the website )

·
Registered
698 Posts
SiriuslyCold,

Doesn't matter, I'm happy with my amp! :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
*shhhh* it's still a secret that digital amp owners are happy with their amps ;)

looks like eddie is fighting the good fight on ecoustics ;D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, I could say that my amp is analog class-d and not digital, but that would be picking a fight I suppose :p

Just keep an open mind people, and if in the market for amps, check out a few class-d designs as well, you might be impressed :cool:

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Correct, the new Rotel amps are all based on Ice Power.

Yves, you're right there is definitely something special going on with UcD :D

Best,

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold
Yves,

some recent threads here are still saying that I think i saw one last week.

the 1077 is ICEPower (says so on the website )

The 1077 is ICEPOWER 100 watt Analog modules. My understanding is that Rotel helped B&O develop these modules, and some of the unique modulation technology that B&O advertises is really Rotel effort. Supposidly, the NuForce amps are based on suspiciously similar technology from a different source.

Whatever the politics, the results are truely spectacular.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Just keep an open mind people, and if in the market for amps, check out a few class-d designs as well, you might be impressed
Mmmmm... I don't know. I don't like the class D amps sound I've listened to so far....

Considering that my RB-1080 and 1075 power amps are great I think I'll give an opportunity to this new 1077 :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
You won't be disaapointed. The 1077 sounds a lot like a 1075 with a 1090 bottom end. Low end is definitly stronger and tighter than the 1080. Midrange is a tad cleaner and more forward (reminds me of Krell Showcase or Halo A21/51). My 1075 went out the door yesterday. Still haven't decided what I'm doing with the 1080. The 1077 has taken up permanent residence in my rack. Now I'm deciding what to do with all that extra space.

·
Registered
698 Posts
One bad thing about ICEpower amps is that, when speakers are disconnected, half the rail voltage is present on the outputs... Can be a shocking experience!

The ICEpower sound is very good though, has all the advantages of a good class D design.

UcD based class-d (Hypex modules, Adire audio in the states) are also extremely good, frequency independent THD is something special to hear. Low distortion in the higher frequencies, superb dynamics, amazing staging... it's a ticket to heaven!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders
One bad thing about ICEpower amps is that, when speakers are disconnected, half the rail voltage is present on the outputs... Can be a shocking experience!
So from what I recall then the - side is always hot, or both + and -? Also, a note about the ICEpower is that the continuous power is less than the typical rated power when using the default heatsinks and ambient cooling (see spec sheets). So when comparing to other amps note this.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's true.

ICEpower uses SPMS (switch mode power supply) for the PS part of the amp - it's just not beefy enough for continous RMS, according to some.

UcD amps like I use have a "regular" PS, that is, toroidal transformer, rectifier and caps. The amp itself is switching. If one is sure that the PS/transformer is good or even oversized, then the UcD's become amazing amps.

I'm using 500VA for 2 channels, with 40.000uF worth of caps. About 800VA would even be better, but if you compare my specs to what a 5 or 7 channel receiver has to work with these days... (and that's class AB at 70% efficiency compared to the 93% of the UcD class)

It's 200W per channel clean into 8 ohms, 400 into 4 ohms. Below 4 ohms it drops back, current gets too high for the circuitry.

The Rotel ICEpower is a nice way to know what class-d is all about - however, in my opinion, there are better implementations out there!

If you don't like DIY but want to have a go at a nice class-d solution, audition the Channel Island Audio D-200's - these are based on hypex modules (although heavily modified) - they are expensive... Adire Audio will make completed Hypex based amps, I've been told!

PS. I don't know if Rotel changed the ICEpower 1000 to be more beefy or not - haven't heard them at all, i'm just reporting this based on normal ICEpower modules.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.