AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys heard of the following? Any reviews/input on how they are and prices?

ROTEL RSP-980 THX SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR

ROTEL RDA-975 DIGITAL SURROUND ADAPTER

ROTEL RDA-985 DTS SURROUND DECODER

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
37 minutes is a bit quick to get anxious about replies. Especially during work hours in the US. Give it some time and I am sure you will get some.

Rotel is a very well-regarded brand around here. (and elsewhere as well).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those are older model HT Pre-amps with external decoders (if memory serves me right). Rotel as a brand is excellent. The pre-amp itself is only Pro-Logic. If believe that you connect the external DD and DTS encoders to the Pre-amp via a DB25 serial cable. This was their HT solution about 10 years ago. If you went with this setup to connections would be a little more complex. Your digital sources would go to one or both of the external decoders while video (S-Video or composite) and analog audio would go to the Surround Sound Processor.

Here is a review from 1997:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_1/rotel980.html

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
found some prices in a hifi mag from the UK

RSP-1068 995 pounds

RSP-1098 2295 pounds

RSX-1067 1795 pounds

RA-04 250 pounds

RA-06 500 pounds

RC1070 395 pounds

RB-1090 1745

RB1080 THX 845

RMB1077 multichannel 1600

RMB 1075 THX 845

hope this helps

·
Registered
135 Posts
most bang for the buck is without a doubt the rotel rb1090 it measures like a dream and cost no more than the on/off switch on a accuphase...

·
Registered
869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq /forum/post/0

Have you guys heard of the following? Any reviews/input on how they are and prices?

ROTEL RSP-980 THX SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR

ROTEL RDA-975 DIGITAL SURROUND ADAPTER

ROTEL RDA-985 DTS SURROUND DECODER

your kidding right, did you search Rotel? 2 years on here and you have never heard of Rotel

·
Registered
330 Posts
I can't speak about those models in particular, but I've owned Rotel equipment in the past and its performance was outstanding. They make very high quality gear that is generally far superior to the mass market and better known brands, yet it costs far less than the most expensive (Krell, McIntosh, etc) high end equipment.

Anything they make is worth serious consideration.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have owned Rotel equipment in the past and found it to be very good. However during the past few years, Rotel has not spent the R&D monies to develop new products and have been surpassed by their chief competitors - Arcam and NAD - in terms of product selection and up to date offerings.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I believe Rotel spends monies on R&D but they are painfully slow at releasing new product lines. I have two of their amps and have been waiting for what seems like years for updated versions of the 1068 and 1098 pre-pros.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Rotel's 1068 & 1098 are as good as any other companies offerings right now. NAD hasn't released the T175, the Integra DTC-9.8 hasn't released yet that I know of. Besides the mass manufacturers, ie: Onkyo, who has the new codec's from Dolby & DTS yet and HDMI functionality, not many.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/11278476

I have owned Rotel equipment in the past and found it to be very good. However during the past few years, Rotel has not spent the R&D monies to develop new products and have been surpassed by their chief competitors - Arcam and NAD - in terms of product selection and up to date offerings.

so you mean that all new thing that's being released is better than it's predecessors ?

i think rotel does the right thing...don't release anything half done...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Rotel is generally known as one of the cream of the crop premium brands

That statement is pretty lofty and I wouldn't put it in the "premium brand" category.

I do however feel Rotel makes an excellent product. It outperforms most everything in it's price class. As for how it compares with NAD and Arcam? I'll take the Arcam any day because of it's musical qualities. However, I'll choose Rotel over any NAD piece.

As with a lot of manufacturers who make separates. Rotel is slow to incorporate the latest features like HDMI, etc. I think it's a smart idea on their part not to release. Let the mass market folks duke it out and see what technologies win out and then incorporate the winner or features that make the most sense.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't believe Rotel is very well served by their dealer network.

When I looked to purchase my RMB-1075, a spectular amp, it was quite a search. The dealer I did find basically was an order taker. He had nothing at all Rotel setup for demo.

I think that's probably a result of where Rotel is pricing their units and the stores they are in.

Since they don't want to, or perhaps cannot support, being sold by a mass market retailer, they are relagated to being the "cheap" offerings where they are sold.

Considering the retailer at this level is selling equipment costing 3 -4 times what Rotel costs, he has quite the incentive to "upsell" the customer.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke /forum/post/11278589

I believe Rotel spends monies on R&D but they are painfully slow at releasing new product lines. I have two of their amps and have been waiting for what seems like years for updated versions of the 1068 and 1098 pre-pros.

The 1069 was announced. I'm not sure if there are any major changes from the 1068, but I guess it counts as an updated version.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/09/06...cessor-preamp/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.