AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd be interested to hear too. Anyone lucky enough to have one?

J.R.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean to say that with a forum as large as avs, and a company as well known as Rotel, not a single person has anything to say about this unit?

Very strange.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know!?!?!

Hardly anything even over on "The Club" either

J.R.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to keep bumping this until someone out there can tell me something about it!

Once a thread hits page 2, very few people look at it.

:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump again.

Wow...this is weird.

I've read a review that RAVED about it's DVD-A performance, but I've heard nothing of it's CD and video performance.

Anyone?

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is beyond weird....:confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okey, I had a brief look at this unit today. Looks and feels sturdy. Detachable powercord on the back and ok quality connectors. As the store didn't have the demoroom, where the RDV-1060 was installed, ready, they connected it to a big RPTV from Sony. RGB via SCART.

Since I'm running the iScan Ultra to my CRT-PJ at home, this didn't indicate the quality of the progressive output or even the interlaced component output. Audio wasn't played due to noise in the store.

I will try to return this friday and have another look. If it dosen't have any reel flaws I'll pick it up and install it at home.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Finally some info!

Thanks editman, keep us posted and good luck! :)

J.R.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My only comment is that on the unit I was using it would play DVD+RW format disks but NOT DVD+R. Kind of weird, as the +R format is generally the "easier" of the two to read from my experience. I can't comment on the sound or video quality as I wasn't looking at this particular player. It just happened to be the unit hooked up to the RSX-1065 and B&W CDM-9NTs I was trying out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey,

I just looked into this DVD player as a part of a Rotel (DVD player, pre-amp, amp) and Paradigm (Studio series) home theater. While I didn't get a chance to look at the video (more on that in a sec) I listened to a couple of regular 'ole CDs on the above system and let me say whoa! I've never heard audio of that quality on a system in that price range. I almost had the wife conned into buying this $11,000 system!

On the video front, I spoke with a representative from Rotel about the video section of the DVD player and the MPEG decoding and deinterlacing are provided by the ESS Harmony chip. This is actually the same chip as the new Denon DVD-5900 I've been hearlng so much about (drool). I couldn't peg him down on CUE (he said they'd had no complaints) or deinterlacing algorithm (don't know if they license from Faroudja, etc. or if it's propriatary) but if the video performance is half of what the audio performance is, it's a contender (especially at $900).

Definately give it a serious look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just hooked mine up last night.

While I haven't had much time to play with it, I did manage to try out some material on it.

The DVD-A is simply amazing! I listed to a Kenwood sampler disk with my wife and we were blown away. Even before I could tweak the levels and contours on my pre/pro (Rotel 1098, love it) it was perhaps the cleanest, most accurate imaging I have ever heard. The highs were smooth and crisp and the lows were really tight and deep. I can't remember the last time the B&W's were challenged like that before.

As for the video side, I watched the battle scene in the beginning of Gladiator. It was a stellar picture with great color saturation and brilliant grays/blacks.

There is one thing that confuses me. I have it connected to the 1098 via component and s-video. That way the video to the plasma is fed from the component cables and the display on the 1098 is fed from the s-video. But when I use the progressive scan mode, the display on the 1098 shows a distorted image. I had my last DVD player hooked up the same exact way and it worked fine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
556 Posts
This sounds great and typical of Rotel gear. Awesome performance at a reasonable price.

Hook'd, you might want to try for info on your issue over at Club Rotel . There's tons of helpful people and info over there.

J.R.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As in "Finding Nemo"?

Is that out yet?

Also, you couldn't have gone over to the club already have you?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My main concern is with the video portion of this player. I haven't had a chance to check out the video on it but the audio is absolutely top notch. The best I've heard from DVD-A. It is significantly better than my current RP-91.

The only thing is, the video has to at least match that of my RP-91 for me to buy it. I hope it does, cause man is the audio ever great!! I'm a little scared about the video because the video on the RDV-1080 really wasn't very good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aud19,

Finding Nemo is not out yet, I think it hits the shelves on 11/4. However, I just got the DVD from Disney today.

Also, not sure what you mean about going over to the club.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You get a screener or something?

Club Rotel at HTguide.com. They should be able to help you with any Rotel related questions quite handily, such as your distorted image problem ...I posted the link above.

J.R.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ok................ so how'd you get a copy already then?

:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.