AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice... I am a bit of a newbie to audiophile gear, so please bear with me.

I was considering purchasing a pair of CDM 1NTs from my local dealer for a small 2-channel system in a bedroom. This is somewhat of a fluke as I was originally in the market for something a little less expensive (Paradigm Studio/20s) but I really liked the sound of the CDM 1NTs. My question is whether or not lower-end gear will be enough to drive the B&Ws. The dealer auditioned the CDM 1NTs on an McIntosh system.

This is what I was considering for the CDM 1NTs (~$2600):

CDM 1NT

Rotel RB 1050

Rotel RC 1070

Rotel RCD 02

Will this be enough for the CDM 1NTs or will I simply be exposing flaws in my system? BTW, I've always been quite fond of Rotel gear as it's within my budget. It's also carried by the same B&W dealer.

In case you're curious, this is what I had planned originally before I came across the CDM 1NTs:

Paradigm Studio/20s

Rotel RA-02

Rotel RCD 02

It makes me kind of wish I hadn't heard the CDM 1NTs ;) although I could easily live with the sound of the Studio/20s as well. I auditioned the B&W 601, 602, and the CM , and preferred the Studio/20's to all of them.

I'm really new to all this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

clark

·
Registered
11 Posts
the CDM-1NT's like quite a lot of current and the rotel combo you suggest may not be enough. you should really look at some of the more powerfull pre/power combos that rotel do or try for something along the lines of a secondhand parasound HCA-1000a amp. i run one of these into a CDM-CNT and it sounds fantastic.

As for your CD player yoru conce again selling the CDM's really short. they are capable of some amazing detail and imaging probably the best u can get this side of £1000 (im in uk) so you should maybe look to upgrading the source when you can afford it or else you will only be getting a small amount of the B&W's potential

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.