AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got a rotel RSX-1057 and am very pleased with it. I am having one minor issue with using it to switch HDMI in my setup:

I connect the receiver to the Panny Plasma (7th gen) by HDMI (8th gen blade).

I connect the SA HD TWC DVR to the receiver by HDMI.

I connect the HTPC to the receiver by DVI-->HDMI. (AGP built-by-ATI 9600PRO Jan 10 catalyst drivers).

(HTPC is also connected by VGA to an Elo touch screen).

Everything works as expected, until i switch video inputs from the HTPC to the cable box. Then, the HTPC "forgets" about the DVI-->HDMI connection. If i switch back, i get "no signal" on the TV. I can get the signal back by right-clicking on the desktop, properties, settings, and re-enabling the 2nd monitor (plasma). looks great, works great, until i switch back to cable, then it forgets again.

Any way to have it maintain the connection, even when switched away? I would hope that between the thousand options in the catalyst control panel and the thousand options in the rotel setup, i could make this work!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Agonostis,

This is occurring because the video card loses the EDID (display information) and therefore believes the display is no longer connected (which technically it is not).

I don't believe the drivers have anyway of overriding this, at least they did not when I had this problem about a year ago.

The Gefen DVI detective may be your only solution ( http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378 ). Note that I have not tried this but I have been told it will work. Basically it copies the EDID information from your display and always transmits it back, regardless of what is connected on the output side.

Arbury

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Another solution is to purchase/install Girder 4.0 and to connect the RSX-1057 to your HTPC with a serial connection... You could then execute a Girder script to reenable the second monitor each time the input on the receiver switches to the HTPC.

(Note that I haven't tested this approach... but I do own a RSX-1055 which is a predecessor of your receiver, and do something similar with my video projector).

Eiffel

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
yes as already said its an EDID issue. The PC doesn't store it once the switching is done. The only way I have found out how to do this is that I got a Monoprice 5 x 1 HDMI switcher that has EDID support built into it and it works like a dream.

- Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.