AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to put together a 2 channel system. i have a 60w per channel rotel integrated amp. do you guys think this is good enough to power my stratus minis found one in audiogon for 300 just today. any opinions? thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon /forum/post/12952238

im trying to put together a 2 channel system. i have a 60w per channel rotel integrated amp. do you guys think this is good enough to power my stratus minis found one in audiogon for 300 just today. any opinions? thanks in advance

1. What's the size of the room?

2. How loud do you listen to your music?

3. What music types do you listen to?

4. What is the sensitivity of the speaker?

5. How far will you sit from the speakers?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) 12' x 15' room

2) not loud just enough to fill up the room

3) acoustic, jazz, folk, alternative

4) 86 anechoic 88 typical listening room

5) 7 to 8 feet

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon /forum/post/12953013

1) 12' x 15' room

2) not loud just enough to fill up the room

3) acoustic, jazz, folk, alternative

4) 86 anechoic 88 typical listening room

5) 7 to 8 feet

you should be fine. When i was in a 12x16 room, I used a Cambridge Audio Azur 540 integrated without any stress or problems. I believe it was a 40watt per channel amp. This was with B&W 602s3 speakers, i forget what their sensitivity was though, probably 87ish.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response. i purchased the minis today found out the seller was only 5 miles away got them for $300 bucks. already had my mind set in purchasing the image b25s tomorrow cause somebody beat me to a used mini which sold for $250 today. went home after work browsed audiogon and found a stratus mini for sale made the seller an offer and got them. havent set up my system cause my amp was borrowed by my brother to power his speakers. hopefully by tomorrow i can get it back and finally listen to my 2 channel system, hope it sounds good. thanks again

i heard the minis before in a psb/nad dealer in my area and it sounded great but with silver nads powering them. if it sounds close to that im satisfied.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/12953151

you should be fine. When i was in a 12x16 room, I used a Cambridge Audio Azur 540 integrated without any stress or problems. I believe it was a 40watt per channel amp. This was with B&W 602s3 speakers, i forget what their sensitivity was though, probably 87ish.

Jonomega, why did you,

1) Decide to go with the Rotel and give up the Cambridge?

2) What differences are between the two?

3) How much more do you like the Rotel over the Cambridge?

Thanks

frenchmon

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmon /forum/post/12955882

Jonomega, why did you,

1) Decide to go with the Rotel and give up the Cambridge?

2) What differences are between the two?

3) How much more do you like the Rotel over the Cambridge?

Thanks

frenchmon

I did it because I didn't like the headphone outlet of the cambridge. It shut down my amp when i plugged in my grado SR125. This doesnt happen with the Rotel separates. Also, dealer gave me a good deal on the upgrade

Additionally, I was stuck in the "ooh, rotel + B&W = win".

Furthermore, I like the looks of the rotel (black)

SQ wise, i never did a critical comparison; but thats not what i was focusing on when i upgraded. They both sound great.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/12956422

I did it because I didn't like the headphone outlet of the cambridge. It shut down my amp when i plugged in my grado SR125. This doesnt happen with the Rotel separates. Also, dealer gave me a good deal on the upgrade

Additionally, I was stuck in the "ooh, rotel + B&W = win".

Furthermore, I like the looks of the rotel (black)

SQ wise, i never did a critical comparison; but thats not what i was focusing on when i upgraded. They both sound great.

Thanks. So what model of Rotel separates do you have? How about model of you B&W's? Do you use Rotel source componets? And how about inter-connects and wires? Do you believe you must get expensive ones? And if you have pictures can you post them? I know I am asking much, but you do seem to know what you are talking about. Thanks

frenchmon

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmon /forum/post/12966360

Thanks. So what model of Rotel separates do you have? How about model of you B&W's? Do you use Rotel source componets? And how about inter-connects and wires? Do you believe you must get expensive ones? And if you have pictures can you post them? I know I am asking much, but you do seem to know what you are talking about. Thanks

frenchmon

answered your questions in pm to not drive thread in the wrong direction

Edit: You need to enable your Personal Messenger.

Check my public profile for the details you seek. Interconnects are from Bluejeans cables. Speaker wire are belkin 12ga from bjc. They are more than expensive enough. Any further expense on cables would be wasting money on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of my stereo. I certainly know enough to know what matters in my price range, however I won't claim to know all of the acoustical physics and engineering methods behind making this work -- although that knowledge is held by select few posters on this forum. Basically, I know enough to have fun; if I need to know more to make things work better, I know who to ask

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/12967832

answered your questions in pm to not drive thread in the wrong direction

Edit: You need to enable your Personal Messenger.

Check my public profile for the details you seek. Interconnects are from Bluejeans cables. Speaker wire are belkin 12ga from bjc. They are more than expensive enough. Any further expense on cables would be wasting money on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of my stereo. I certainly know enough to know what matters in my price range, however I won't claim to know all of the acoustical physics and engineering methods behind making this work -- although that knowledge is held by select few posters on this forum. Basically, I know enough to have fun; if I need to know more to make things work better, I know who to ask

Yeah I do need to turn on my PM. Thanks for being so kind and helpful.

frenchmon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts