AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 5 channel amp with 200 watts (obviously for home theater). Reviews I've found on the web indicate either the Rotel or Sherbourn would be good. I understand that they differ in their design in that the Sherbourn is essentially like 5 monoblock amps, which would indicate to me that the Sherbourn may perform better with all channels driven whereas the Rotel would perform better if a few channels wanted more power. Does anyone have experience with both of these? What about heat considerations? The Rotel has a pretty high signal to noise ratio while this information is not available from the Sherbourn website. Any help appreciated. (Definitive Audio in Washington is having a sale this weekend, so this expedited my time to purchase).

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am also considering these two amps, but leaning more toward the Rotel.

In all of the reviews I have read for both of these amps, they both receive high praises. But in almost every case, the Sherbourn is compared to amps in the same price range and deemed to be as good or better. Most of the Rotel reviews I read compare the 1095 to amps costing 2 or 3 times as much and deem it to be almost as good (i.e 95% as capable as a BAT 6200).

Also, I too do like the 5 monoblock design of the Sherbourn. Its very Bryston-like. But there is no need to worry about the Rotel. Its got ample power to drive all 5 channels simultaneously. I don't believe that heat should be a concern for either amp based on what I have read.

And lastly, all things being equal, I like the looks of the 1095 better than the Sherbourn.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm looking for a 5 channel amp with 200 watts (obviously for home theater). Reviews I've found on the web indicate either the Rotel or Sherbourn would be good. I understand that they differ in their design in that the Sherbourn is essentially like 5 monoblock amps, which would indicate to me that the Sherbourn may perform better with all channels driven whereas the Rotel would perform better if a few channels wanted more power. Does anyone have experience with both of these? What about heat considerations? The Rotel has a pretty high signal to noise ratio while this information is not available from the Sherbourn website. Any help appreciated. (Definitive Audio in Washington is having a sale this weekend, so this expedited my time to purchase).

What kind of speakers do you have? Call Ron Fone of Sherbourn(co-owner), and ask him about the specs.

Does anyone know what the sonic signature for the Sherbourn is generally characterized as?

Warm ... bright ... etc?

I feel that the Sherbourn is very nuetral.(I have one, and I love it).

Most of the Rotel reviews I read compare the 1095 to amps costing 2 or 3 times as much and deem it to be almost as good (i.e 95% as capable as a BAT 6200).

I have also seen reviews stating that the Sherbourn is 95% of the Bryston 9B.

For the money, the sherbourn CAN NOT be beat. Email me and I will give you push in the right direction.

You really cant go wrong with either amp here.

Enjoy,

Fred

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
How would you guys compare the B&K References amps to these two?

My ears tend to be fatigued (they ache a little) rather easily. I assume this is mostly from high frequency sound. Because of this, I've been considering B&K (which are supposedly warm sounding) ... but would like to get a short list together for testing!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I demoed the Rotel and it is an excellent amp, But IMO the Sherbourn has slightly better bass and that's the one I bought. IMO it is the best 5 channel SS amp available for under $2K. However, I would not argue too hard with anyone who made the same claim for the Rotel or the Parasound HCA-2205, all 3 are excellent amps at this price point.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Sherbourn, Rotel, Parasound and B & K are all excellent amps. I have listened to these and most other brands and to me the Sherbourn or Rotel sounded as good as the $5000 amps. Contrary to other opinions I personally think that B & K is brighter than the other three listed amps. I have the Sherbourn and it is the most neutral sounding amp that I have owned. I use Paradigm Monitor 11's and recently had a friend over who owns B&K amps and Ref30. Before he arrived I turned the subwoofer off. After a while I told him and he did not believe me until I turned the sub back on. Sherbourn produces excellent bass. I could just as easily have gone with a Rotel but I got a better price on the Sherbourn. I think that the introduction of the new 7 channel Sherbourn will allow you to get better pricing on the 5/1500.

I still contend other opinions are helpful but you have to ultimately decide what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone's replies, I've decided to wait for the 5/5210. Since the MSRP of the Sherbourn versus the others is less and the performance is equal or better. I'll see what the new 5/5210 offers.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Sherbourn is tough to beat at the prices available today (1300 new i believe on the 5/1500a these days because discontinued?)...the 1095 at best is going to be 500 more most likely...i don't think you would tell the difference so save the money.

I wasn't so hot on the Sherbourns looks either, but it blends in very well and is non-descript which I like now. Your basic 200x5 amp, that i feel is a great bargain. I also had a bad customer service issue with Rotel, so it wasn't an option for me.

FWIW, I was about to get a 9BSST instead...glad I didn't! Also, my dealer compared to the Krell Showcase, Sim Titan, and Bryston 9BST and said the Sim (his favorite) was only about 10% better, and in normal HT you wouldn' t be able to pick out the difference between it and the Sherbourn.

KeithR

·
Registered
226 Posts
Anyone know how much the street price of the new Sherbourn 7/2100 is?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin_HT
How would you guys compare the B&K References amps to these two?

My ears tend to be fatigued (they ache a little) rather easily. I assume this is mostly from high frequency sound. Because of this, I've been considering B&K (which are supposedly warm sounding) ... but would like to get a short list together for testing!

I think we may be pretty much the same when it comes to getting fatigued easily by bright sounding gear.

I had a B&K 307 receiver for about a year and it sounded great and didn't fatigue my ears at all. I traded to a Denon 5803 and immediately noticed it was brighter to my ears. Not overbearing in general, but brighter and slightly fatigueing.

Three weeks ago, i traded my 5803 for a B&K Ref50 & Ref200.5 amplifier. I'm so glad i went back to the B&K sound when i decided to go seperates. The B&K 200.5 amp (200 wpc X 5) is incredible. Clear, clean, crisp, warm sound that i can thoroughly enjoy without a hint of fatigue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.