Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I´m preparing to buy one or two power amps for my HT system.

my HT consists on the following:

Front Speakers: Kef Q3

Central Speaker: Kef Q9C

Surround Speakers: Kef Model 60

Subwoofer: REL Q100E

Receiver: Denon 2802 (european Version)

Now i´m on the road to buy an amp, but my problem its to know if it´s better to buy a 5 channel power from rotel or if its desirable to buy 1 power amp for the 2 front channels and another power amp with 3 channels for the central speaker + 2 surround speakers.

I was comparing from:

a) 1x Rotel RMB-1075 (5 X 120 WPC)

or

b) 1x Rotel RMB-1066 (6 X 60 WPC or 3 x 150 WPC bridged) + 1x Rotel RB-1070 (2 x 130 WPC).

Well i dont know if i use the same power for all the equipment i´ll get some sort of lack of power or could increase the distortion ratio.

What do u guys think about this.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I would think the RMB1075 amp should do just fine....your speakers are very efficient (91db) and Rotel's wattage rating are under-spec'd so you should really notice a difference from the power of your 2803. If you want a bit more, you could try the RMB1066 bridged for the front three and let your receiver power the remaining surrounds. Either way would be a big step up IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yosh70,

thanks for your reply, but with it i´ve got another question that i´ve saw here commented by one of the users.

About the RMB-1066 when its bridged he said the sound would be worst than it was on a non bridged mode.

My question is:

a) is this true

b) if it is the sound would be less clearer and less bright?

thanks,

Paulo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the RMB-1066 and I'm using it to power my fronts with my HK AVR-510 for my surrounds. At first I was running this amp in bridged mode and I did notice a significant improvement vs. the HK 510. Since my main speakers are bi-wireable, I ran 4 channels from this amp unbridged to each LF/HF terminals of my mains and since then I'm not going back to bridged mode.

Like Yosh70 said, you can use the RMB-1066 to power your fronts, and since your front speakers have bi-wire terminals you can ran this amp unbridged. Then use your Denon 2802 to power your surrounds. 90w/channel from your 2802 would really be good enough for your surrounds.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the explanations.

Yes the receiver is capable of power up the surrounds very well. I´m Sure of it.

About the rotel RMB1066 i dont if when its bridged it loseses some sort of quality compared when its not bridged.

About the bi-wirable, will it gives a better result than the normal wire connection. I´ve heard that the bi-wire on theory its better but on practical the result is almost the same as connecting on a single wire.

Thanks for the help i´m receiving.

Paulo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not a technical person but I'm sure you'll get your information on these links:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=Bridging

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=Bridging

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=RMB1066

And if you type this address in your address bar (just add www) " home-cinema-guide.co.uk/biwire4.htm ", it will take you to topic discussing the benefits of bi-wiring and much more. I had to do it this way because somehow it wouldn't post the link right.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.