Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick rundown of my existing system:

B&W 603's (front & center) & 602's (rear). I have a CRT projector, so I can have 3 towers in front! Anthem MCA series II power amps (5 channels). Harmon Kardon AVR45 (used as pre-amp). I've got a Shiva (12" driver) based sonosub as my subwoofer, Samson S700 as the power for that.

Like many, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. The Rotel RSP-1066 looks like a good candidate. I have also been following the Outlaw 950 for a while, but its $899USD price once you ship it to canada gets it up around $1850 CDN -- The Rotel I can get a cheaper than that if I trade in my HK AVR45 as part of the deal.

My existing system doesn't have DTS -- and if I'm going to upgrade, I think I want to get DPL II in the deal.

I'm not trying to spark off a huge debate over Outlaw vs. Rotel. From what I see, they are basically both the same quality / features / value. If you totally disagree, fine -- but that's not the point of this thread.

Based on my existing system -- will I be satisfied with the Rotel? Since units are on back-order, getting one to in home demo isn't really possible. I don't mind buying blind in this case, but I want some reassurance that this isn't going to be a bad decision. Beyond new formats, I want higher sound quality, lower noise floor... etc..

Ideally someone with experience with both HK and Rotel can comment. Best if they have listened to the AVR45 and the 1066.

Roo

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, no replies? Oh well..

After reading as much as I could on the web about this unit, and evaluating the price my dealer was offering I decided to go with the Rotel 1066. Its fairly back-ordered it seems, so it may be a while before I actually get it.

I'd still be happy to read what anyone had to say about this unit..

Roo

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've seen and heard the unit many times at my local dealer. It is a very good choice. I've owned Rotel in the past and to get better performance one would have to spend much more on a unit. It is hard to beat at its price point.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like a lot of things about the 1066. Rotel products are almost always excellent values and reliable. It has a nice array of inputs, I like that it has a 5.1 input for an external SACD or DVD-A player. I like that it is software upgradable for future format support. It has a lot of features for the price.

A minor downside is that it use 24/96 DACs, but I don't feel that makes much, if any, real difference. Another downside, which could be significant based upon if you plan to use it, is that the component video switching is very limited. For some reason Rotel went with low quality parts and limited the video bandwidth through the component I/O's to 10Mhz. A 480p video signal needs 13.5Mhz for full resolution, so if you run a progressive DVD player through the 1066 component switch, you could see some softening of the image. And don't even think about running any HD/1080i material through it. 10Mhz is adequate for 480i interlaced signals.

But for it's primary function, to serve as a high value digital audio processor, I think its a nice product. if one needs component video switching, you could add an external switch and the combined price would still be quite reasonable.

Tom B.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not concerned with the video switching capability at all -- I won't be using the video path for anything other than configuration. My video all goes through a video scaler. I guess weak switching is bad for resale value in the future, so I do think it is a negative that can't be overlooked.

I'm fairly certain the 24/96 DACs will be better than the HK AVR45 DACs, and I'm uncertain that I would be able to hear a difference based on DACs alone -- noise floor etc, will probably be a bigger factor in my listening.

I guess another plus to the 1066 is the Pronto .ccf that Rotel has created. Works for me -- I've got a Pronto..

Roo

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Andrew: Congrats on your new purchase! The Rotel 1066 is a nice unit. Did you get the silver or the black unit?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered black one (everything else is black in my system) -- still waiting to get it of course... when it does finally arrive, I'll post my mini review here.

Roo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.