AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting one of these from a ebay reseller. It looks like it will work for me. I currently have a Bryston SP 1.7 but seeing how they are not going to make it hdmi upgrade I'm thinking of replacing it. The 1069 will replace the hdmi video switch box I'm using as well cure the ground loop I get from the analog audio connection from my HTPC and the lack of multiple HD audio source inputs.

From what Rotel told me the unit is only hdmi 1.1 but may have the latest software and will pass 1080p 24fps. I may or may not pass 3D and will not decode DTS HD or DDTHD but both my pc and LG BD 390 will and then I can pass it through the hdmi cable via LPCM.

Will this unit work the way I think it will? Are there any other problems with this unit that I don't know about?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

why would you want to buy this unit when you can buy a "modern" piece that will have all the "new" features?

likely for cheaper, no less, judging from what i saw on ebay for prices...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I'm not sure but I thought the preamp section of the rotel would be very good not as good as the Bryston I have but would have the option of multiple hdmi inputs, greatly simplifing my system. If I could get one for $600. I might go for it. My set is an old 1080i RP so as long as it will pass that perfect and the players decode the audio I'm good.

What can I get for the same kind of money?

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman /forum/post/19564502

I am thinking of getting one of these from a ebay reseller. It looks like it will work for me. I currently have a Bryston SP 1.7 but seeing how they are not going to make it hdmi upgrade I'm thinking of replacing it. The 1069 will replace the hdmi video switch box I'm using as well cure the ground loop I get from the analog audio connection from my HTPC and the lack of multiple HD audio source inputs.

From what Rotel told me the unit is only hdmi 1.1 but may have the latest software and will pass 1080p 24fps. I may or may not pass 3D and will not decode DTS HD or DDTHD but both my pc and LG BD 390 will and then I can pass it through the hdmi cable via LPCM.

Will this unit work the way I think it will? Are there any other problems with this unit that I don't know about?

I bought one likely from the same ebay dealer, the unit is very good. It has a very good analog section for cd/sacd. I am using mine as a controler for my home theater, it does have an hdmi pass through for the video so it will bypass the rotel processing. My blu ray player is doing the dd truehd and dts master audio decoding sending it by hdmi as lpcm. I was using a newer onkyo reciever as a pre/pro, the differnce with the rotel is huge. You will not be disapointed with the sound of the rotel. It looks like it would work for you. It does for me. Let us know if you pick it up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
merv thanks for posting

how are the black levels? I read that it had problems early on but the hdmi upgrade fixed it. The hdmi bypass will pass perfect 1080p?

Was the Onkyo able to decode THD and DTSHD? If so the 1069 is better than it, sounds good.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman /forum/post/19567544

merv thanks for posting

how are the black levels? I read that it had problems early on but the hdmi upgrade fixed it. The hdmi bypass will pass perfect 1080p?

Was the Onkyo able to decode THD and DTSHD? If so the 1069 is better than it, sounds good.

Black levels are fine, the onkyo is able to decode dtshd master audio and truehd (just moved it to another smaller t.v. system) and did sound fine, but the rotel is much more open and involving, bottem end is much more detailed. I guess alot may have to do with equipment and speakers it will be associated with. I was not expecting this much of a difference in sound. To be honest, the reason for purchasing the unit was it would look a little better in the rack than the onkyo and I needed an avr for a 46" tv in our basement family room and I have always wanted a pre/pro in the theater room. So far I have no complaints, this is a very nicely built unit and the sound exceded my expectations.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello,

I too am considering purchasing the Rotel 1069. I have an Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player and a Carver 5 channel amp. Could I let the Oppo do all the decoding and playback of my SACD's and blu ray movies and just pass the music and video through the Rotel without affecting the sound or video?

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccar /forum/post/19574012

Hello,

I too am considering purchasing the Rotel 1069. I have an Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player and a Carver 5 channel amp. Could I let the Oppo do all the decoding and playback of my SACD's and blu ray movies and just pass the music and video through the Rotel without affecting the sound or video?

That is what I am doing only with a pioneer 51fd and it works and sounds great! The pioneer does not do sacd but internaly decodes dtsma and turehd and it really sounds great. You could always use the analog imputs for sacd if needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts