AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a used Rotel RSP-1098 or used Krell Showcase 7.1, both for about the same price. I will be using it to drive my B&K Reference 7250 Series 2 Amp. This Amp does not have balanced inputs, so I can't take advantage of the balanced outputs from the Krell.

Given that, which one do you believe would be a better match for my B&K Amp in terms of sound quality? Opinions on whether it'll sound bright, soft, etc?

Any key differences in capabilities between these two units that i may be overlooking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Krell is a better pre/pro for sound quality. You only wan the Rotel if you can't live without some of its features. But there is a big difference in sound quality between the two. And the Krell is better in this department.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have enjoyed the Rotel 1098 for over one year and please do not write it off. It is very good in 2 channel and quite adequate at 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. The Krell is a Krell. Where are the upgrades???? I question the Krell commitment to upgrading their purchasers with the newest and LATEST.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If your purchase price is approx $2000.00 then you should look at either a new Arcam AVP700 or used Anthem AVM20/30.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The Krell is a good sounding unit. It replaced a Rotel 1066 in my set-up. I was tempted by the 1098 but was able to hear both it and the Showcase side-by-side at a dealer. The Krell seemed to have a better analog section and to me had more detail for music.

As Vinodk suggested, I just replaced the Showcase with an Arcam AVP700. To me, it is (slightly) better than either unit...

John

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks! I will check out the Arcam AVP700 also.

Is it just me, or does it seem like many companies have not upgraded their units in the past two years. Seems like Denon has one of the newest receivers out there with goodies like video transcoding and switching for HDMI. I was hoping Krell, Rotel and others in this category would follow suit. BTW, how is the new Denon compared to these units?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion
Is it just me, or does it seem like many companies have not upgraded their units in the past two years. Seems like Denon has one of the newest receivers out there with goodies like video transcoding and switching for HDMI. I was hoping Krell, Rotel and others in this category would follow suit. BTW, how is the new Denon compared to these units?
There were rumored upgrades for the Showcase for 2 years :confused:

Ironic, because according to the Krell reps and designers I spoke to at WCES this year, it's not an upgradeable platform...

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.