AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an annoying issue with a newly purchased Rotel RSX-1058.

Current I have this unit connected to a non-HDMI Fujitsu plasma display via component cables.

I have a non-HDMI Sony DVD player (NS999ES) connected to the Rotel via component cables.

The problem is as follows: Menus and unprotected content on DVDs play back fine through the RSX-1058 to the plasma.

But, at settings of 720p or above, as soon as a movie or other apparently "protected" content begins to play on the DVD, the screen goes black.

I understand that HDCP protected content from HDMI sources won't be output on the component out of the Rotel.

HOWEVER, as I mentioned above, the source here is an old school DVD player connected to the Rotel via component cables, not HDMI! Why is this happening? How can I work around it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Followup:

I just did another test with the Sony DVD player connected to the Rotel via a composite cable. Same results.

Completely ridiculous.

Has Rotel gone too far with their HDCP implementation on this unit? What gives?

Under no circumstances should a composite signal be selectively blocked from the component output of this Rotel for DRM reasons.

If someone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.