AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a little advice. I am in the market for home theater processor and multichannel amp. This will only be used for home theater. I am running a Levinson 380s with pass through and 336 amp fro the front end for analog 2 channel. The 5 channel amp will power the center and 4 surrounds. I have searched ad nauseum on this board for information on processor amp combinations and the following continue to pop up as recommended. I have ended up with the follwoing combinations at increasing dollars spent

rotel 1066 / rotel 1075 $

sunfire TGIII/ Sunfire Cinema $$

krell showcase / krell shocase 5 $$$

I am unable to audition any of this gear locally therefore my dilema! Speaking directly to home theater, is it worthwhile to go up the ladder from the rotel to the sunfire, or from the sunfire to the krell? The only processor i have heard locally was the B&K ref 50 and amp at the local tweeter, and it was uninspiring at best. Thanks in advance and any input.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I am probably biased as I own a Sunfire TG2, but I think that if you wern't impressed with B&K, and you are only using this for HT, that the Sunfire would be perfect for your situation. There also seem to be a number of places to get the Sunfire for quite a bit off MSRP.

enigma

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
I think for movies the Sunfire is great also, although I am also an owner.

You may want to consider the combination from Outlaw audio. For movies it sounds great and is dirt cheap. It comes with an audition period. There are mant reviews at ecoustics.com.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Sunfire is a good recomendation as they have great gallopping hoards of power. Great for theatre. :D You can get more musical, cleaner amps but you don't really require those qualities for movies. I think you should base it on how much money you want to spend. They're all good systems for their respective dollars. Personally if absolute musical bliss is not one of your concerns and your not actually going to listen to any of them before you purchase... I'd get the least expensive gear of good quality that you like the looks of. Rotel and Outlaw probably being the best candidates. If you want better processing ability from Rotel, check out the new 1098, plus it has the TFT screen which could help or hurt you in a theatre only setting. Depends on how you'd use it. For more power look at the 1095 and/or a seperate 2-channel amp to power the mains in a 7.1 configuration. Get the less expensive stuff then spend the leftover budget towards your TV/Projector or on acoustically treating the room etc.

J.R.

(I wish I had your dilemna!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been down this road a few years ago. I use a lexicon mc-1 and a proceed amp5. I found it is a good match to the sound of the Levinson.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.