Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I´m on the road to buy one power amp to make my receiver less congested (Denon AVR-2802) This will be to supply power to the front speakers (Kef Q3).

I was comparing the following Power Amplifiers

Parasound:

- HC-750A (75 watts RMS @8ohms)

- HC-1000A (125 Watts RMS @8ohms)

- HC 1500A (200 Watts RMS @8ohms)

Rotel:

- RB-1050 (70 Watts RMS @8ohms)

- RB-1060 (130 Watts RMS @8ohms)

- RB-1070 (200 Watts RMS @8ohms)

Well i would like to know, at the same grade Parasound Vs Rotel wich one has the better sound quality (brightness, Soundstage, etc...)

Since they´re at the same price i would like to know the comparison you can give. And since i cannot hear a parasound since i´m from Europe. I would like to know what the ones who had compared them has to say.

Thanks for all the help.

Paulo R.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've heard both Rotel and Parasound. I own 2 Parasound HCA-1200II's (predecessor to the 1500). When I was looking it came down to what matched my other equipment best (visually) and can I rack mount it. Out of ATI, Rotel, Parasound, Carver, and Adcom I got the Parasound. They all sounded similar but since I couldn't get them all side by side I can't say they sounded exactly the same. You won't be disappointed with either brand.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I think you have your Rotel models a bit off. AFAIK, the 1090 is 380wpc, the 1080 is 200wpc, 1070 is 130wpc, and 1060 is 70wpc.

Other than that, at a similar power level I would wager that you could never tell the difference between the Rotel and Parasound during a controlled test. In other words, buy the one that looks better to you, is heavier, cheaper, can be delivered faster, has a local dealer, or whatever other criteria is important to you. Sound will essentially be identical.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I own a Rotel 2-channel amp and a Parasound 5-channel amp. In a controlled, level-matched, blind test, neither I or two other listeners were able to tell them apart. We were using a pair of high-end speakers, worth over $10,000. Used several different CDs, all of excellent audio quality, listening for clarity, imaging, deep bass, realism in vocals and piano, and much more. They sound identical to me.

I could force them to sound different if I turned up the volume enough as the Rotel is a 50wpc amp vs the Parasound 140wpc. But even at pretty loud levels, they sounded the same.

Tom B.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

for all the help.

Since i´m from Europe, here we´ve got much more Rotel dealers than Parasound. To be honest i didnt saw any dealer here in Portugal. If i´m not mistaken i´ve only Saw Parasound on a High-End Audio and Home Theatre Fair last year.

Where i was very very suprised with the Kef Reference Model on a 7.1 Home Theatre Enviroement. I think it was 6X Kef Reference 207 + 1X Kef Reference 204. Each speaker was powered by 2 Mcintosh MC1201.

This is for who can pay for it, because i loved it on HT enviroment, maybe in Stereo arent that good (i dont know because i dont saw it in stereo)

Once again, thanks for your precious comments.

Paulo R.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Parasound does list a dealer in Portugal

Demestre Electronica

(351) 21-915-66-80

(351) 21-915-32-15 (fax)
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
For whats it worth, I just today hooked up my new Rotel RMB-1075 and all I can say is, "HOLY ****!"

Never in my wildest dreams did I think a separate amp could make such a difference. Wish I would have done it much earlier, now I am wondering if I should have stepped up to the 1095!

Can't imagine needing more power but that is what I said with my 400 h.p. Camaro....there is no substitute for power baby.

Got to go and enjoy my "new" system.

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback posted. I´m very appreciated. I think probably will go to Rotel.

Best regards,

P.R.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
rickfaldo - what were your powering your speakers with before you added the Rotel amp?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rick,

Just curious, what are you using as a pre/pro with the 1075? I am close to buying the 1075 and using my Yamaha RXV-1200 as a pre/pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use parasound HCA 1000a's to biamp my fronts and 1 for my rears. All i can say is that these amps are quite different from the rotels in a lot of ways. Both the rotel and parasounds are quite neutral sounding amps but if you have speakers to hack it the parasounds bass delivery has a little added depth to it. Also the power supply's in the parasounds are a little better so they tend not to run out of steam so easilly.

If it was my money it would be 1000a's every time

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Better bass delivery? These amps both have ruler flat frequency response down to very low frequencies, and within their stated power output levels would sound absolutely identical.

The beefier PS in the Parasound should give it more dynamic headroom though. Perhaps what you are hearing is the reduction of clipping at very high volume levels?

·
Registered
715 Posts
rickfaldo;

Maybe you or one of the other posters in this thread can help me. I too am considering the Rotel 1075 for Paradigm Studio 60's, CC, & ADP's. I am currently running them with a Sony DA4ES. I am also considering the 1080 2CH and putting off new amplification for the other three channels for budget reasons. Will the 1075 be enough or will I wish I had more power for my 60's?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just bought a Bryston 4BSST and I would be hard pressed to see a difference with my RMB-1095 powering the rest of my speakers.

So, I don't think you will see a difference between Parasound and Rotel...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My front speakers go down near flat into the upper 20's and I hear no bass difference between my Rotel and Parasound amps. There may be a slight difference in headroom, like on the order of .3 to .5dB during peaks that draw more than maximum rated power, as some Parasounds do have larger power supplies.

Tom B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.