Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am going to buy the following:

Channel Master 3671 antenna

Channel Master 7777 pre-amp

Channel Master 9521A Rotor

I live about 60-70 miles from most of the transmitting towers and was going to mount my antenna on my rooftop using a mast with chimney mount straps. My chimney is 5 feet above rooftop. Will the rotor go at the very bottom and rotate entire mast or do you place the rotor as close to the top as you can. Also, how high is too high for the mast if just suported by 4 chimney straps especially if rotor is at top of mast? Is 15 feet too much to support the weight? I plan on using a mast that is in 5 foot sections that says heavy duty. I wanted to go to 20 feet but feel that might be to high. I plan on using 4 of the Channel Master chimney straps and they look like they will hold mast sturdy and in place.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have my CM 3021 and CM rotator mounted on my chimney. Here in Southern California where we don't have "real" fireplaces and chimneys, just a tube inside of a stucco shell, I was able to mount wall brackets directly into the stucco. I have a 5' mast mounted to the brackets and the rotator mounted on the top of the mast. The antenna is mounted directly into the rotator.

It has been very windy here this winter and so far everything has held up fine.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
CM install info shows having the rotor within 3 1/2' or less from the antenna. I think the farther the rotor is from the antenna, the more of a load it presents to the rotor mechanism, which is not good.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig10.htm

I've got a RS 13' yagi mounted about 1' above my CM 9521, and it's been fine for over 3 years.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, Kipp, & Ken,

Thanks for the helpful info. I have a tall antenna tower that is next to house which holds the old antenna right now but I am afraid of heights and was afraid to mount the rotor and new antenna up there myself but I have luckily found a guy to do it this Thursday. I just got my Samsung T-165 in and I am going to mate it with my JVC 30K and I will be ready to record some HD.

Thanks for your advice,

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.