AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the voltages and controls universal from brand to brand? I have an unknown rotor on my mast that has five wires coming from it. A friend gave me a Channel Master Automatic Antenna Control Unit (Model 9510A) antenna rotator control. This unit only has three wire connectors, labeled 1 (Wide Wire), 2, and 3 and outputs 30V 1AMP. Does anyone have an info on this subject? Should I even bother or should I just buy a brand new one from Radio Shack?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sounds to me that you have an Alliance rotor. A house I previously lived in had a rotor with 5 wires, which was an Alliance.

Anyhow, the Radio Shack unit is made the same way as the channel master with 3 wires.

------------------

Jarred
http://www.jarredinthehouse.com

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the 9510A instructions say to attach wires 4 and 5 to the 2 and 3 terminals on the remote, but I'm not sure. I have a 9510A, but the instructions are somewhere else right now. Take a look.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually the manual gives directions for using a four conductor wire and connecting #3 and #4 conductors to #3 terminals on both control and rotor. As far as I know there is no simple way of mating a 3 wire control with a 5 wire rotor. One thing to check, (but probably unlikely), are all 5 wires used on the rotor, or is it a three wire rotor that someone used 5 wire conductor on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was on the roof last night looking at things and I coudnt tell how many of the wires were actually hooked up. Is there a place where I can learn about talking an antenna up and down? I have never done that and it seems sort of tricky. I have a 10 foot mast then an unknown rotor connected to another 10 feet or so of mast with a pretty big antenna on top. Should the UHF part be pointing towards source or on the other side?

SOURCE --> or like this SOURCE <--

The --> is the antanea.

Also, I want to add about another 20 feet if possibile. Where do I buy the masts and guide wires? Is Radio Shack the only source? And how much do the masts cost approx?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Steve,

A UHF Yagi antenna (which is what it sounds like you have), goes:

SOURCE ---->

Antenna masts really need to be guyed every 10 ft. You may be able to get away without it for a while, and then a good windstorm comes along and the antenna ends up pointing at Jupiter ('happened to me in the past).

I believe Radio Shack has telescoping masts that are 19' and 38', although I don't know if the 38' is a stock item in stores.

Channel Master makes telescoping masts up to 50 ft., see http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/mh1.htm . I have the 50' and it came with directions. I installed mine on the ground; a rooftop installation is possible but I don't have the guts or the balance (and it really, really looks bad). IMHO rooftop installs for these big masts are best left to pro installers, if you could find one that would do it.

I'm working on a webpage that explains how I did my installation, with pictures, etc. Maybe I'll be able to finish it this weekend.

The telescoping masts are way cheaper than a full-blown tower; I think the 50' was less than $100, with about another $100 or so for the guy wire, anchors, and hardware.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
695 Posts
Steve:

I just went through this whole operation, first putting the antenna on the roof without a rotor, and then two weeks later, installing the rotor. To answer your questions:

To take down the antenna depends on how easy it is to access it. In my case, the antenna mast is wall mounted. I simply loosened the brackets that hold the mast and very carefully slid the mast down through the mounts until I could reach the antenna. Just be careful, because it's going to be heavy with that rotor on it. They say you shouldn't have more than a few inches mounted above the rotor to prevent putting too much stress on the rotor motor. I know people have put big masts up on top of the rotor like you have and haven't had any problems. If your antenna is roof mounted, you'll need some help getting the antenna down.

UHF antenna should be positioned: source -->

I got all of my mounting and cabling at Radio Shack. Lowes or Home Depot probably have some as well, depending upon where you live. I bought a heavy duty 10' mast at RS for about $14.00. You're also going to need to guy the thing if you add more mast. It would probably have been preferable for whoever installed the antenna on your house to have fit two 10' masts together and then mounted the rotor on the very top. The RS masts are narrowed at one end so you can fit more than one together.

Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive never heard of the telescoping masts, but that sounds alot easier. So I would have the telescoping mast, then the rotor, then a short mast with the antennea on top.

Just a side question, I am only getting a signal strengh from 0 to a Max of 12 on the bay area channels. Im thinking that if I can get a little higher to clear a few more trees and the ability to aim the thing, I should be able to bring in a lockable signal. Does this sound like I am doing the right thing. I dont want to get an amp yet, as all my local (Sacramento) signal strenghts are maxed at 100 and I dont want to overload them.

Thanks,

Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveHoltam (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
I am only getting a signal strengh from 0 to a Max of 12
Followed by
Quote:
I dont want to get an amp yet, as all my local signal strenghts are maxed at 100
Huh? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 06-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooops, sorry. I get all the Sacramento channels at max, but I am gunning for the San Francisco stations. Primarily PBS and NBC. I think they are about 90 miles away.

Steve

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're gonna need a big-ass antenna to pick up signals 90 miles away! I live about 45 miles from Philadelphia, using a Channel Master 4248 and Channel Master 7775 UHF pre-amp with a rotor, and the best signal strength I'm getting is in the upper 60's! If you've already got your local network stations, why go through the hassle of messing with the antenna to get more? Just curious. I tried dialing in the NYC channels and couldn't get a reliable lock. Figured it wasn't worth messing with anymore since I get my networks from Philly plus my local PBS and local non-affiliate.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The primary reason is PBS. In Sacramento, our local PBS is not scheduled for conversion for at least a couple of years. Second is that someone here indicated that the bay areas NBC is sent in a non-stretched 16x9 mode. That would be nice, as my wife watches alot of their crap.

I'm willing to invest another $100.00 into this glorious pit we call HDTV.

Steve

·
Registered
801 Posts
There's a lot of "rocks" between you and Sutro also, I wouldn't give it much of a chance. If it does work, it will be spotty at best, and your wife will be a lot more POed about the signal coming in only some of the time vs. the stretch problem. You're not going to do it for $100, probably not even for $10,000.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
This link at Stark Electronics has the entire Channel Master antenna installation manual (along with others), it's a great resource.
http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm#MANUALS

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
695 Posts

Quote:
If it does work, it will be spotty at best, and your wife will be a lot more POed about the signal coming in only some of the time
This is the real issue now isn't it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Even with my 60-70 signal strength, I still get pixelation and drop-outs from time to time because of the distance and signal multipathing. She got so PO'd the other night after we watching a comedy on CBS and we missed the punch line of a joke that she said she'd rather watch a crummy cable signal http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif and not lose any dialog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.