AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me thank all of the participants in this forum for getting me going on HDTV. I finally talked a clearly reluctant Direct TV supervisor into opening an account for me after having three different customer service folks tell me I couldn't get service without a picture on channel 100. "Chicken Run" yesterday afternoon really knocked me out.

Two thing, however: First, I'm aimed at the Dish 119 location, and get signal strength of about 80. Direct TV strength, however, is down around 45. Lots of what appear to be dropouts of varying severity last night on Sopranos and BOB.

If I'm tweaking, how much do I have to compromise either system? The two systems dish-pointing programs give different elevations and different azimuths for the respective 119 birds. Do I shoot for something in the middle, or can I tweak the heck out of the Direct system and hope that the Dish system is good enough?

Second, I tried to split the signal and have a simultaneous feed to both systems. With those signal strengths, it basically didn't work. When I left the menu on Direct and went to programming, the Dish system lost lock and I had "acquiring signal" messages. Will a simple split (I used a Radio Shack-RCA 2gig splitter and used a DC block in the Dish RG-6 line) work if I can get the signal strengths up?

Again - TIA - Pat

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.