AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years with my first home theater (built in the winter 2005-2006), my wife informed me that she wanted to move. Long story short, we have been in our new home for about a month (we only moved a couple of miles from our old house), and I'm itching to begin the planning process for the next theater.

Here are the details:

Room is an unfinished "loft" above a newish (2002) separate barn. The barn is already run with electric, water, sewage and cable. The loft space is basically 20' wide X 39' long. The plan is to devide off 20x25' for the theater and leave the remaining space for a kitchen and bathroom.

I have no idea on equipment etc. Just laying out the basic details. Its a vaulted ceiling which is 103" at its highest and that height is consistent for the middle 10' of the space. It then slopes down at about a 45 degree angle to the sides which are 4' high.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Work out your desired screen size and seating locations before arbitrarily choosing 25' as the depth. These decisions will determine what depth you need tfor the room.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Make sure to get a capable HVAC system... it's going to get hot up there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old room was roughly 12x23 and I was using a 118" carada screen. I'm thinking roughly the same size in this room, but 2.35:1 vs 1.85:1. Seating for 8 should work (one row at 12 feet and one at 19 give or take).

Yes it does get really hot up there. My old room was in the basement and even though I had AC I never once turned it on. I'm thinking either a minisplit system (hidden behind the false front wall) or a separate central air unit.

The building sits about 30 feet or so from the house. I'm not too concerned with isolation. Will most likely just insulate the walls and maybe use 5/8" drywall instead of 1/2".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That picture is very interesting. Definitely something to consider. Thanks for the suggestion. Also thanks for the AC advice. I didn't think of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts